Home Forum Ask A Member stronger spark, why?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ronboonville
    Participant

I’ve noticed on some of my twins that one side has a stronger spark, able to jump farther. Could this be because of the points gap? Such as a larger gap having a weaker spark because points stay closed for shorter time? smaller gap producing a stronger spark? Any thoughts appreciated.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

That is a possibility. The points are supposed to open at a certain time as the magnets pass by the coil. It is the time that they open that counts, not the gap. But the gap is related to the time, so it is one method of setting them. The accurate way is with a timing fixture. I’ve made a ton of them, but have turned it all over to club member Richard White. http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

MonkeyButt
        Participant

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be one condenser that was weaker than the other. You can test them with a multi-meter.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

olcah
          Participant

US Member

From swapping coils I believe that some coils just work better than others.

ronboonville
            Participant

Check resistance of condensors?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote OLCAH:

From swapping coils I believe that some coils just work better than others.

I think this is a good point, especially if you are using two different vintages or manufacturers of coils. Coil design has certainly changed over the years, and who know just how aftermarket coils were engineered/designed.
                So, comparing spark when mixing vintages of OMC coils, or mixing manufacturers might be like comparing apples to oranges…
                Will both cylinders jump a 1/4" gap? If so, I wouldn’t overthink it based on capability beyond 1/4". Is there a particular project that has prompted your question?

ronboonville
                Participant

I am working on 57 West Bend/Elgin 7.5. I fitted it with omc coils. I swapped the condensors and the weak spark went away. I must of had a poor connection. I have great spark now.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, am glad it is ressolved

The Boat House
                    Participant
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.