Home Forum Ask A Member Struggling under load

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

It should shut down when you turn the key off. Check your ignition switch – on the back there should be 2 black wires connected to the “M” terminals. They connect to the points and when grounded shut the engine down. One wire goes directly to one set of points and the other connects indirectly through the cut-out switch. If the wires are connected properly, check the ignition switch. When in the “off” position, you should have continuity through the “M” terminals.

Mumbles
      Participant

In a two stroke motor, struggling under load is one sign of leaking crankshaft seals.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so it seems as though you have solved your problem, correct? Short shaft engine on a long shaft transom?

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I will be interested to see if 5 additional inches solves the problem. I believe the hs needle needs adjustment. Sounds like it’s running rich. It was mentioned above but he never said whether he adjusted the hs needle at WOT. I used to run big twins at altitude (chatfield res and wolford res north of Kremmling) and they ran VERY differently there than they do here in the midwest closer to sea level.

I also think checking the upper crank seal (frequently a culprit) is something that is easily diagnosed and relatively easily remedied.

Finally, adjusting that fuel saver linkage is, in my view, overly complicated. I have tried adjusting them in accordance with the manual and found it maddening. I asked extensive questions here and got responses but little clarity.

Scott

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
            billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wouldn’t a short shaft engine on a long shaft boat ventilate? It seems to me like it would over-rev? Struggling under load and pushing a boulder uphill wouldn’t have been my choice of words for describing ventilation, if that’s what was happening.. I sure do hope it’s fixed, though….

Long live American manufacturing!

robotmark
              Participant

Apologies if I didn’t mention it earlier, but I did adjust the high speed needle at WOT. I’ve basically done all the prescribed treatments, and like I said, the motor is running like a champion. It still can’t push the boat though – the prop is just too high in the water. It sounds like like a modern i/o if you forget to lower the trim. My extension kit should arrive today and I should be back on the water tomorrow with an update.

opposedtwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Apologies if I didn’t mention it earlier, but I did adjust the high speed needle at WOT. I’ve basically done all the prescribed treatments, and like I said, the motor is running like a champion. It still can’t push the boat though – the prop is just too high in the water. It sounds like like a modern i/o if you forget to lower the trim. My extension kit should arrive today and I should be back on the water tomorrow with an update.

As you leaned out the HS needle at WOT, did you notice improvement in power with the increased rpms?

robotmark
                  Participant

Not significantly, no. The motor is running perfectly fine now, but the boat still isn’t going anywhere fast. My longer drive shaft has arrived but I’m still waiting on the rest of the extension kit.

robotmark
                    Participant

Does anyone have any advice for fitting the copper water pipe extension? The rest of the extension kit was a breeze, but the copper water pipe does not fit easily to the existing one.

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Get a piece of copper pipe with the same diameter and use a short piece of rubber hose to splice them?

I have taken long shaft motors apart and seen this remedy many times. Just make sure the fits are snug and won’t vibrate apart.

EDIT: just need the rubber hose splice.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by opposedtwin.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.