Home Forum Ask A Member Tecumseh coil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    benji41
    Participant

US Member

1976 Ted Williams brand Sears 7.5 HP motor model 217.585880. Need a coil (pules transformer). It is my understanding it has a Tecumseh motor and built by Eska.
      Any info on getting one will be much appreciated.
      Thank You
      Jim Benjamin

D95A9A96-EE9C-4B19-8670-860ADA6F2919-2

Jim Benjamin

nabmd
      Participant

US Member

try Jackssmallengines.com; I have a carb diaphragm on order from him now for a Tecumseh built Eska.

frankr
        Participant

US Member
          Mumbles
          Participant

There should be a tag attached to the powerhead somewhere and it might be a model 640-13? If so, Jack’s shows the complete solid state magneto, part number 610851B, as NLA. Doing a search for this P/N might bring up some results. I couldn’t find a P/N for the coil itself.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/tecumseh/2-cycle-vertical/av-815/av817-640-13/engine-parts-list

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t really know how to say this diplomatically so I will just say it: Those motors are not worth putting very much money into. They have the power of. maybe, a five horse. If you want to take the lower shroud off, to work on the carb, you either need to cut the shroud in the back or pull off the power head. Like nabmd, you will probably also need a carb diaphragm. The gear cases are known to get badly rusted inside. They are kind of noisy. In my area, I’m not sure you could even get get $100 for it, running. And at one of AOMCI’s meets, I bet you’d have a hard time selling it for $10. If you have a sentimental love for it, by all means, fix it. But if you want to have a nice, usable motor, you might want to look at something else.

If you really do need an ignition unit, it will probably be a LOT cheaper to find another, whole parts motor and make one runner out of two. Be SURE you need that ignition, too. They don’t make a very big spark, even when they are working properly.

Just my two cents.I will shut up now.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by billw.
              • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by billw.
              jcrigan
              Participant

Is it the coil? Did you check continuity on the secondary winding? On some of these i have worked on, there is a bad connection at the spark plug boot. Trim the spark plug wire about an inch back from the boot and reattach the boot and spring.

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

I had a motor similar to yours and the coil that mounts on the block with the spark plug wire attached was bad. The components under the flywheel were “OK”. I had a parts OMC 6HP in the shed 1988 I think it was. I got a coil (Part # 0584561) off it and it worked great. Had a great spark. Sold that motor and it still runs great after a couple of years.

But; I had a coil available;not sure if I would have invested the $$$ in it otherwise.

Mumbles
                  Participant

It sounds like the coils are a problem with these motors but after doing a bit of sleuthing, I found this post on another forum describing a fix using a common OMC coil.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/other-outboard-brands/469703-eska-7-5hp-ignition-coil-retrofit

Here’s an original coil for $220 USD. I know which option I’d use to get this motor running.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-GENUINET-NEW-OEM-OLD-STOCK-Transformer-610785B-2-Cycle-Outboards-L8-/323955482384

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
                    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
                    Mumbles
                    Participant

And here’s a good read explaining how to troubleshoot and repair SS ignition systems.

http://enginesandmagnets.com/id16.html

benji41
                      Participant

US Member

Thanks to everyone for your help and input. I am now looking into you input and I am sure I will come up with a way to jet this motor running with out breaking the bank.
                        Thanks again and will report when I am successful.

Jim Benjamin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.