Home Forum Ask A Member The End Of Prufrex OMC Coils?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    lloyd
    Participant

US Member

I think Ben Bernanke and Janette Yellen should be required to carry around a 12 volt battery with one of those Chinese coils and a wire hooked up to their tongue. Every time they hit the "print" button they would get an electrical reminder about fiscal prudence.

ken-hall
      Participant

US Member

I actually bought 2 of the Chinese coils to test.As a testiment to the lousy quality they include directions on how to grind the mounting bolts down so they don’t protrude through the mag plate. The holes are misaligned to the point of not being able to install the omc tool (ring) for diameter. Also both leads are at least 1" longer than necessary. The ring terminal for the point lead is so tight you have to literally screw in the screw to get it in! What junk.On a brighter note…they produce a good spark.I’ve ordered 2 CDI 183-4477 coils for further comparison.

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ya, I don’t care much for the Chinese coils and found the same issues with the leads and ring terminals. Mine didn’t include screw grinding instructions and they didn’t fit very well either. Once they are in they do make a good spark but what a PITA to work with. I’m starting to keep the old OMC laminations in case I get some that don’t fit at all. At least then I can transplant them.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

wedgie
          Participant

I bought a few also and found the same issues. What I did was to knock the coils off their laminates with a big punch and swap the old laminates into the new coils. You have to be a bit careful so as not to mangle the old laminates. I put a smear of jb weld on the center pole and slid the new coil on. The too-long wires can be shortened, but I found the green wire is long enough that it can be wrapped around under the condenser mounting tab. This is actually a good thing ’cause it keeps the wire from making contact with the points cam. The black wire can be twisted and tucked in between the coil and the heel on one side. The ring terminal is just big enough for the points screw… at least on the ones I got. Next time I will probably just get the Prufex from Jim if still available.

Oh yeah, I just use the original screws too. 😉

Mumbles
            Participant

Where are you guys finding the offshore coils?

pm-t2
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have the answer to your Chinese coil problems…..

Come over to the rowboat motor side, and never have to deal with any OMC coils ever again……

😉

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mums, here are the Chinese made coils I have from ebay.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/260943879715

The Sierra coils are also Chinese made, but slightly different in that they do not have the bent over tab that holds the coils to the laminations.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/281813967252

It seems they are both of about the same quality. The coils seem to work fine but they sure don’t fit like the OMC ones. If I can’t get the Prufrex coils I’ll probably just pay for the OMC ones. At least they fit right without having to switch laminations out. The time and frustration savings is worth the difference in cost.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

pappy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great example of what happens when folks buy "will-fit" parts instead of OEM. Eventually OEM goes away.

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant

I bought 2 new BRP coils for my 9.9 in April.one died the next day after testing .Bought a Sierra thinking i might get a different manufacturer,the Sierra package read "Made In Germany".These are the exterior ignition coils , the coil windings have a light green coating on them as compared to the blue BRP coating.Also the Sierra German coil was a finished product,not like the BRP ones that i had to assemble and install the spark plug wire terminal and boot.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                      Robbie Robertson

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.