Home Forum Ask A Member The quick question thread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    thepetrolist
    Participant

Decided to start a new thread for quick questions that can be given quick answers, for those questions that don’t need a thread for each question.

Anyway, I’ll start off with one question:

Is the spring that attaches the float needle to the float in the carb necessary to install? If it’s not installed,will this cause running problems?
      My ’65 Yachtwin has some gas delivery problems and I went through the carb, fuel lines and tank, and the only real "problem" I found was that this spring is missing. The needle seems to be sticking in the closed position and it needs a light shake to fall back down..

chris-p
      Participant

Yes, if the needle has the rubber tip, it NEEDS the spring to pull it away or it could lock shut.

The older needles are ok without it.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I repaired a bunch of motors under warranty with the needle stuck in the seat when they first came out with the soft tip (without the clip). How welcome the change to the clip design was!!!

wiscoboater
          Participant

Wow..I think you guys may have just solved a running problem I’m having on a 59 18hp. The new carb kit came with the soft tip needle. I did not use the spring because there was not one on the old hard tipped one. This could be my lucky day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.