Home Forum Ask A Member think i got lucky…….

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant
      quote opposedtwin:

I will need a sleeve for sure. there is a score under where the bearing was.

The sleeves are for the larger seal surface, not the surface where the bearing cone sits. If the bearing surface is chewed up a bit, it can be filed so the new bearing slides on easy. In the shop, we used to cut salty bearings off with a torch and got pretty good at it. The odd spindle got nicked by the flame but nothing serious.

Hey t2stroke, if you stand on the left side of a trailer while it’s moving forward, the left wheel is turning anti clockwise but if you run around to the other side, the right wheel is turning clockwise. I’ve never heard that the grease will migrate depending on the rotational direction of the wheel. I think someone’s pulling your leg. 😀 The grease in a hub is supposed to liquify a bit and flow to both bearings when the hubs get warm. Completely filling the hub with grease not only helps to lube the bearings, but also helps to keep water out.

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

opposedtwin, I see you are in Wisconsin. I don’t know where, but Fleet Farm has a pretty good selection of axle items and are pretty reasonable. I lost a bearing on my trailer near Germantown a few years ago. Limped into the Gander Mountain store thinking that they would have parts. It turned out to be a gun only store. I asked if they knew of a auto parts store, finally a customer told me there was an Advanced Auto nearby. That was a bust, but there was a Fleet Farm just down the road. (Those folks at Advanced had to know that Fleet Farm had trailer parts!!!!!) Well, it was like walking into heaven for me. They had everything I needed. I was back on the road in less than an hour.

Steve

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

going on 10 years with my oïl bath bearings on ez loader trialer 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.