Home Forum Ask A Member This sound like it needs a tuneup?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

I think it might. I can’t get it to idle lower than this and it feels sluggish.

https://youtu.be/kMwglQqizlI

Mumbles
      Participant

The motor sounds great but water should be shooting out the exhaust relief and the shift linkage might need some adjusting.

mr-asa
        Participant

Yeah, that was the first run for it.
          Still not sure why it wasn’t pumping water. I pulled the lower unit and checked it, impeller was good, wasn’t crooked, put it back together and put a longer bolt through the brass shift holder, threads were stripped enough that it was loose. Longer bolt fixed it.

Any thoughts on why I can’t get it to idle lower?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by mr-asa.
          frankr
          Participant

US Member

Running on one cylinder, isn’t it?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

These videos give off strange audios, kinda hard to tell, sounded like it was kicking in and out of two cylinders at the end though….Try disconnecting the damn vacuum switch leads below the mag plate (be sure to tape them up so they don’t short to ground though), see if it runs any better…

mr-asa
              Participant

Frank, that’s kind of what I was thinking, but I haven’t had enough motors do that to be sure. Also been a long while since I’ve had one this old running

mr-asa
                Participant

These videos give off strange audios, kinda hard to tell, sounded like it was kicking in and out of two cylinders at the end though….Try disconnecting the damn vacuum switch leads below the mag plate (be sure to tape them up so they don’t short to ground though), see if it runs any better…

Check the vid again, I don’t even have the vacuum switch hooked up right now.

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Running on one cylinder, isn’t it?

That’s what I was thinking, too. Those things run so steady on one cylinder that it fools a lot of people. But it seemed to have that low, hollow sound in the video….

Long live American manufacturing!

mr-asa
                    Participant

Bill, it also dumps a larger than normal amount of fuel/oil in the bucket. I wasn’t sure of that, but again I haven’t run one of these in a while.
                      Gonna tear into it today.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by mr-asa.
                      outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

Like Frank said – it could be running on one cylinder – they will run quite well on one, and then all the gas/oil form the other cylinder ends up in the water. Try running with one spark plug wire disconnected, and then the other. If there is no change in the running with one of them off, you have found which cylinder is dead.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.