Home Forum Ask A Member Timing Question

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    h20lew
    Participant

US Member

I believe the washers under the hold down screw are wave (bow) washers and not flat – that lets them hold the point base secure enough not to move on their own but lets you move them when with the adjustment screw or a nudge with a screwdriver… nudging the base towards the condenser will give you more gap to work with if they aren’t opening enough. When I was confirming this I also noticed that a 1957 magneto does not have a washer below the adjustment screw but the 1963 magneto does – I’m guessing they figured that adding a washer there helped hold the adjustment.

57-2

63-2

Screen-Shot-2020-05-29-at-9.27.00-AM

Yellowstone
      Participant

Thanks all. I have been out of town fishing and then catching up at work. Will take a look again tomorrow night using your suggestions Frank, Mumbles and Fleetwin.

Yellowstone
        Participant

Thanks again. So I got it figured out this evening using Mumbles advice. Fires up first pull and runs really nice, buuuutttt, still not the power I’d like when I open the throttle. I ran my 54 5.5 right after for comparison and there’s a lot more power. I did change the gear lube on all my motors last month. I’ll check the prop. I have to tell you. I have no idea how to determine if its the wrong pitch but will research that and then move on to the other possibilities.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.