Home Forum Ask A Member TN 28 neutral clutch cable

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    William Simpkins
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hello, I’m a new member and I have pretty much everything to learn. I just acquired a Johnson 5hp TN 28, and cleaned it up, got it running but it wasn’t pumping any water. I disconnected the neutral clutch cable and dropped the lower unit and when I got to the water pump, the impeller was in pieces. I replaced the impeller, put the washer, spring and another piece back on the driveshaft, and started to reinstall the unit. The cable feeds about 3/4 the way up and then just gets stuck. I’ve tried it a dozen or more times and it still sticks at the same spot. I even tried wd40 and some motor oil on the cable…same result. Tried feeding it from the top and it goes through fine. Any suggestions? Also the washers and seemingly oversized spring fall off each time I pull it back down. Had to fish the spring out with a coat hanger. I’m concerned it won’t seal properly once I finally get the cable fed properly. Any help and advice will be appreciated!

frankr
      Participant

Did you remove the curved cable tube below the tank support? Do that and the cable should go up through with no problem.

William Simpkins
        Participant

I did that initially when I lowered the unit, took it completely off and it doesn’t feed up all the way. Like I said, I can feed it from the top down with no problem. I really didn’t want to have to try to disconnect it from the bottom unit, then feed it down from the top I figured that would just cause me a whole new set of problems

frankr
          Participant

OK, try putting a slight bend in the cable, about 3/8″ to 1/2″ from the top end and rotate it as it hits the obstruction.

William Simpkins
            Participant

Ok, I’ll give that a shot. Thanks Frank

William Simpkins
              Participant

Well, I was finally able to get the neutral clutch cable through by tying fishing line to it and pulling it through. Now I can’t get the drive shaft to seat properly. I can get it all the way up until about an inch away and it will go no further. Even took the collar and spring off and tried. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

reivertom
                Participant

I have the very same motor, so I’m watching this! I’ve never had one of these apart.

William Simpkins
                  Participant

Somehow, I thought it would be simpler lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.