Home Forum Ask A Member To Thermostat or no to stat

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Removing the thermostat to have the engine run cooler is only a short term “band aid” , or something to do if you are out on the water and experience an overheat, but need to get back to the dock. The thermostat helps control water flow around the powerhead by imposing a restriction….Parts of the engine could actually run hot running without the thermostat due to uncontrolled water flow and hot spots.
      I would pull that cylinder head off and have a closer look, paying attention to mumbles nice photos. I’m sure you cleaned up everything nicely, but perhaps some loose debris ended up in that passage when you started the engine. Don’t reuse the head gasket, replace it again…

1 user thanked author for this post.
      NeptuneMadness
      Participant

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips! I really appreciate it, I will check more into the thermostat this fall/winter right now it is running good and not HOT! so I am going to enjoy it for the season and spend time on it this fall to chase down this gremlin.

Mumbles
        Participant

What convinced you the motor was running hot? Did you check the temperature with an infrared thermometer?

Thermostat motors do run hotter than non thermostat motors so it might have been deceiving if you aren’t used to a T-stat motor. Enjoy your motor!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just curious ? did you check the thermostat for proper operation ? did you reinstall an old one or new one ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

NeptuneMadness
            Participant

Crosbyman, I put the new Stat in, and the water stopped pumping out the back, and the motor got SUPER HOT! I bout a new stat, but good chance it could have been faulty. Im not sure how you test them.

NeptuneMadness
              Participant

Mumbles-I need to get an infrared thermometer to really test correctly, But it started smoking, and water wasn’t flowing out the back. let it cool for a couple hours, took stat out ran it, water was flowing fine, and everything ran great! I could have had a bad, New stat. its trial and error now. Thank you

NeptuneMadness
                Participant

For my clarification… When I have a Stat in. water should be pumping out the back whether or not the Stat is opened or closed.. Correct?? When I had the stat in, water was not peeing out, Took out the stat, water was peeing..

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

put the thermostat in gradually heated water and pop in a turkey thermometer in the water

you will or won’t… see the mechanical movement open up as temp. reaches about 140-150 F

if you don’t see it open up …it is bad

thermostats

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.
                    • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
                    Mumbles
                    Participant

For my clarification… When I have a Stat in. water should be pumping out the back whether or not the Stat is opened or closed.. Correct?? When I had the stat in, water was not peeing out, Took out the stat, water was peeing..

That’s right. Water should be coming out of the exhaust relief at all times.

With this motors symptoms, I’d first remove the cover and check the small passage between the cover and the gasket for blockage.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.