Home Forum Ask A Member Too much fuel too fast

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    robotmark
    Participant

OK – we finally had a stretch of warm weather and I was able to get out there and work on the engine. I removed the carb and disassembled it. The tiny little clip that holds the float pin in place was missing, so the pin had come loose and wouldn’t do its job. That certainly explains all the flooding! So I replaced that, put a new float and gaskets it and got it back all together nice and new. I replaced the fuel pump while I was at it because why not! But, while I was poking around I noticed that the collar is missing from my throttle control rod. There’s a bunch of wire wrapped around the pivot pin to keep the throttle control rod in place but that is definitely not a good long term solution. I can pick up a replacement collar and screw, but my official service manual doesn’t tell me how or where exactly to install it. Also, does the control rod slide in the pivot pin, or should that be tight? I’m not sure if I need to replace that as well.

Thanks folks!

DAN UMBARGER
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK – we finally had a stretch of warm weather and I was able to get out there and work on the engine. I removed the carb and disassembled it. The tiny little clip that holds the float pin in place was missing, so the pin had come loose and wouldn’t do its job. That certainly explains all the flooding! So I replaced that, put a new float and gaskets it and got it back all together nice and new. I replaced the fuel pump while I was at it because why not! But, while I was poking around I noticed that the collar is missing from my throttle control rod. There’s a bunch of wire wrapped around the pivot pin to keep the throttle control rod in place but that is definitely not a good long term solution. I can pick up a replacement collar and screw, but my official service manual doesn’t tell me how or where exactly to install it. Also, does the control rod slide in the pivot pin, or should that be tight? I’m not sure if I need to replace that as well.

Thanks folks!

What little clip are you talking about? The newer style plastic float pin is held in place by the design of the pin…the brass ones are held in place by the sides of the float chamber. The only little clip I can think of is the one that clips on to the newer style needle and it just physically pulls the needle off the seat so it doesn’t stick closed. Sorry…but I’m just a little confused. As for the linkage problem a pic would help. The model # you posted is a 1971 not a 1974. looking at the parts breakdown I can’t tell what your talking about.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Are you talking about collar #20 on the fuel saver rod?

Screenshot-2021-03-09-224801

robotmark
          Participant

Yes, exactly.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

1. Motor in forward gear
              2. Advance throttle only till the mag plate is as far as it will go (up against the projection on top of the block)
              3. Now, and only now, #23 should just touch #20. Slide #20 on rod to accomplish that, and tighten the setscrew.
              4. Further advance of the throttle will overcome the spring and kick the carburetor wide open.

robotmark
              Participant

Bingo! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.