Home Forum Ask A Member Trying to decide on a boat for engine testing, transom cut down ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Doug
    Participant

I can get this mid 70’s 14′ starcraft for a fair deal and I boat on the Ohio river often as i live a block away so beam and higher free board is nice, speed is fairly low priority. Most of my engines are all short shaft, tiller and remote both. Has anyone cut down or replaced a transom in an aluminum boat from 20″ to 15″ format ?? I really like the old Alumacraft 14’s for vintage stuff, and valco and gregor for looks but their lower sides and more rounded bottom is just less stable for this old guy. I have had a few older v hulls over the years and thinking this would be more enjoyable to use although not as nostalgic. I have a several old engines all in the range currently from 1.5 to a 54 model 25 hp evinrude and wanting to find a good 55+ 35hp as well. Any thoughts on the proposed modifications.

Screenshot_89

I got a few I have had a long time but can always use a few more going into retirement.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
      crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Ever had to go downwind in a heavy chop ???? I would not cut down the transom for simple safety reasons

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

An Alumacraft FD or similar is deeper, has a splash well on the short shaft transom. If you cut it down, you need to add a splash well if you are concerned about getting swamped.

Doug
          Participant

I do really like the FD’s but continue to fail to find one that is not either butchered, too far away as in 6+ hours or without a title or no reply’s from seller. I do also like the splash well on any 15″ transom boat I use in my waters.

I got a few I have had a long time but can always use a few more going into retirement.

kerry
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If you do not want to cut the transom, consider a small jackplate that can be unbolted and removed when using your longshaft motor. https://bobsmachine.com/product/mini-manual-jack-plate-mmj-0-40-hp-max-for-clamp-on-motors/

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Doug
              Participant

Trying to get ahold of a guy on this boat. Looks like an Alumacraft FD but only has one set of oar locks ?? Seems odd. Has the aquaduct transom and stated as 14′ with the higher sides. ?? Any ideas ??

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Doug.
                fifty20ne
                Participant

I would not cut down the transom on any boat. Hurts resale value and maybe strength?

I would suggest a SEA NYMPH 14R “R” stands for Rough water
                  Or a CRESTLINER 1460 – 1468 with 15″ transom height.

00L0L_2Y7abAyuxEO_0CI0t2_600x450

2de0db070e24452aace534db7b7e98af

80f1e11d-e4f5-4b72-a2e2-73df19adf00f

Crestliner-Outreach-1460-1668-outside-apm-835-1558428232858

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by fifty20ne.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by fifty20ne.
                  westwind
                  Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Trying to get ahold of a guy on this boat. Looks like an Alumacraft FD but only has one set of oar locks ?? Seems odd. Has the aquaduct transom and stated as 14′ with the higher sides. ?? Any ideas ??

It looks like an FD to me, they may have deleted a set of oar locks on newer models.

Doug
                    Participant

Lots of research since I asked this, ya I know I was bored !! , I have found 2 more boats with the forward oarlocks missing and no obvious evidence of removal. in one case it was equipped with the full width aluminum steering dash and it sit right where the forward oarlocks were. maybe they were omitted when this option was added, i don’t know, just no mention in the old brochures, the other was just also missing the forward set. I heard back on the one and I am buying it, it was in fact tagged as an FD and has a 1968 title. I think this boat is the right combination for water and engine range capable and is a vintage to seem right when running my 50’s- 80’s OMC’s I wanted the wider at the bottom rear but in the end do not like the looks nearly as well so gotta go with what looks fun since it is a big toy.

Thanks for the info on those other two models, I like all of the high side low transom designs but am extra attracted to the FD splash well for my use.

fifty20ne
                      Participant

Doug,

Check this ALUMACRAFT out maybe a 1994 same as my T12S
                        Deep and Wide, with a 15 ” transom. looks to be in good shape
                        This boat would cost $4000.00 new.

https://sandusky.craigslist.org/boa/d/sandusky-14-alumacraft/7152152510.html

00R0R_j9bmk1EsCn3_0ak07K_1200x900

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.