Home Forum Ask A Member Twin engines

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Keller
    Participant

Toying with the idea of setting up a small boat (14 foot or less) with twin 15 hp engines like ‘53 fast wins. Anyone here do anything like this? Hoping for good low end pull and decent speed. In other words, able to pull skier, top speed 25 ish, and look cool as hell doing it.

anyone have input on this or usable experience good or bad? If so please share your thoughts.

Nicholas Keller
      Participant

Edit not working autocorrect is evil fastwins not fast wins

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Gotta love the sound of twin outboards.  I don’t know if I would go less than 14′ though.  The weight would make it tough to get up out of the hole with skier, gas tank(s), driver & observer.  Just my thoughts.  Your mileage may differ.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, twin two strokes sound great! My only thought of a down side is that with twin ’53 15s, (No thermostats) you are going to go through some serious gas.

Long live American manufacturing!

The Boat House
            Participant

Twins are cool no matter what the size.
              Tubs

https://youtu.be/r1vVMls8OU4

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a couple tens on my 14 foot tinnie.    When you giv’er the berries the bow comes up like riding a horse.  Need a big sack of weight up in front for sure.

dale

IMG_0836

HARRY D. NICHOLSON
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Twins can cause over-revving which can lead to bad things.

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here are a couple that were fun to run.   It helps to get across the lake a little quicker.  Mine is on the port side and the starboard motor belongs to my brother.  Really liked running these two little bubblers.   Really quiet and they got plenty of attention!  They might pull a light weight skier, if they could pop out of the water quick.

dale

file=”IMG_0005-001.JPG”]

Nicholas Keller
                    Participant

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one digging the concept. Good point about the pre thermostat engines being a bit fuel hungry. Better options are out there I’m sure. However, fuel consumption is hardly my primary focus. Twin 18s pushing a 14 foot dunphy twin cockpit with fuel tanks under the front might be acceptable… if I’m not mistaken it is rated at 40 hp. Twin 18s give you 36 which would be acceptable maybe not tow a skier but might not be too bad and the extra weight would help prevent over rev.

Beno
                      Participant

I have a clear fuel line for debugging purposes and if any of yall ever ran this 140hp OMC Jetboat (and got to watch how much gas goes thru this 3/8″ line) you would know what poor fuel economy is all about.. woh

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.