Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

It would be my wild guess that it was a groove pin. Does it have a groove lengthwise, along one side of it? The grove makes it a hair oversize so it has to be forced into the hole. That holds it in place. But I could be incorrect on the guess. A good hardware store might have groove pins. http://www.mcmaster.com has ’em if you want to buy a package of them. Truth is, most of us old guys probably would use whatever hardened stock we happen to have laying around—like a broken drill shank. And yes, most of us make our own brass shear pins from common brass stock.

bullie
      Participant
        quote Fisherman6:

Great news! Glad you got all the pieces out. One thumb-smasher is probably better than I’d have done. 😎

Do you have a micrometer or dial caliper or some way to get an accurate measurement of the pins? Someone may have the real OMC replacement parts, but if.you have a metal supply shop anywhere near you, you should be able to get stainless and brass round stock in the diameters you need and just cut them to length and deburr the ends and put them back in. If you don’t have any place to get the stock, let me know the sizes of the pins and I’ll make you new ones. 😉
        -Ben

I do have a dial caliper. My reloading benches have been converted to outboard benches and tools like the caliper have lain idle for quite some time.

The shear pin is .13 in diameter and approx .862 in length (its kinda "S" shaped). The gear pin is .13 diameter and .725 long I assume. .725 is the diameter of the gear at that point.

bullie
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

It would be my wild guess that it was a groove pin. Does it have a groove lengthwise, along one side of it? The grove makes it a hair oversize so it has to be forced into the hole. That holds it in place. But I could be incorrect on the guess. A good hardware store might have groove pins. http://www.mcmaster.com has ’em if you want to buy a package of them. Truth is, most of us old guys probably would use whatever hardened stock we happen to have laying around—like a broken drill shank. And yes, most of us make our own brass shear pins from common brass stock.

Frank, I do not know for sure if it had a groove. I only ended up with a couple of tiny pieces. I don’t know what happened to the larger piece of pin that was in the shaft. There was a little incident involving my left index finger and a glancing blow from a hammer around the time it was knocked loose. I sort of lost track of it while doing my crouch hops. I can search for it though.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years
            quote Bullie:

quote Fisherman6:

Great news! Glad you got all the pieces out. One thumb-smasher is probably better than I’d have done. 😎

Do you have a micrometer or dial caliper or some way to get an accurate measurement of the pins? Someone may have the real OMC replacement parts, but if.you have a metal supply shop anywhere near you, you should be able to get stainless and brass round stock in the diameters you need and just cut them to length and deburr the ends and put them back in. If you don’t have any place to get the stock, let me know the sizes of the pins and I’ll make you new ones. 😉
            -Ben

I do have a dial caliper. My reloading benches have been converted to outboard benches and tools like the caliper have lain idle for quite some time.

The shear pin is .13 in diameter and approx .862 in length (its kinda “S” shaped). The gear pin is .13 diameter and .725 long I assume. .725 is the diameter of the gear at that point.

My reloading bencheck is separate from my outboard work area. It has been idle for a while too though. 😕
            Let me know if you are going to need some pins made. I’m guessing that 1/8" stock will work for the gear pin (steel) and certainly for the shear pin (brass). The gear pin may need to be smacked with a cold chisel to create the groove needed to retain it. Or try buying a groove pin from McMaster-Carr as Frank suggested.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
            Participant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111789733387?var=410779393073

This is the stuff I need for the shear pin?

And this from McMaster-Carr?

Grooved Dowel Pin
              18-8 Stainless Steel, Type A, 1/8" Diameter, 3/4" Long
              98400A603

frankr
              Participant

US Member

If you are going to order the groove pin from mcmaster, you may as well get the brass rod there also. and save paying two shipping charges. $1.95 for a 1 ft piece. Part # 8953K101.

bullie
                Participant

Yep. Says it will ship tomorrow.

This LU needs grease of some sort rather than oil?

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great! I read your post and was thinking exactly what Frank said about ordering everything from McMaster-Carr.

If that’s a grease gearcase (I’m guessing it is) I’d use John Deere Corn Head Grease in it.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
                    Participant

Groovy. I have a John Deere dealership about 2 miles from the house.

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s funny. About 3 miles from my house. 🙂 I have 3 extra tubes on the shelf in the barn also.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 75 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.