Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

Viewing 5 posts - 71 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    edgartc
    Participant

It probably has push rod points, you need to take them out to clean them up, the coils and point are the same as the Johnson HD25 and TD 20

bullie
      Participant

Well, fix one issue and find another. We now have a spinning prop. That’s a good thing. The bad thing is that it doesn’t seem to be pumping any water. The little pump seems to be in good shape, but, since its the first one I have ever seen I really don’t know. It seems awfully hard. No flex to it. Should it be flexible? What else should I look for?

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

That Rotor pump should be rigid. It should fit to the center eccentric went NO GAP. As the eccentric rotates, the outside gap moves water around from the intake in the propeller hub to the water line to the powerhead.

Johnson, Mercury and others used the same system. Some ingredients used in lubrication cause the rubber to swell. this moves the gap from the water side to the eccentric side, and no water will be pumped. This from the Johnson service manual. (contributed {As I Recall} by Frank Robb)

bullie
          Participant

Thanks Garry. I will take it apart again asap and have a look.

paulfromyork
            Participant

I have made comments on this subject before. And I owe what I know to Garry from Tampa. My ELTO Sportster (’49) has maybe the same "Q ring" rubber for the pump. Or a surely similar one. The brass eccentric WAS worn small. Probably from pumping gritty dirt along with the water. I digress. Garry said, AFTER I rebuilt the eccentric, "You should replace the rubber!" I did. It made a LOT of difference. The old rubber was NOT worn badly, but it was HARD, not flexible. Pumps plenty of water now.
              P.S.- I do not mean to refute what Garry said. When I re-made my brass eccentric I was eliminating the gap inside, and it did pump more water, but he BIG IMPROVEMENT was the new rubber!

Viewing 5 posts - 71 through 75 (of 75 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.