Home Forum Ask A Member Universal hex wrench tool?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

On the old forums, T2Stroke had recommended that I pickup one of those ‘as seen on TV’ universal wrench bits, for testing if an impeller is pumping water through a gearcase because the tool grabs the driveshaft, you submerge the gearcase, run your screwgun/electric screwdriver, and make sure the impeller is pumping water up through the water tube (with the gearcase off the motor of course).

Well, now that this season is winding down I am graduating from the older 18-20-25’s up to the more modern 20-25-28-30-35 generation, and the driveshafts are larger and diameter, something you typical home electric drill gun can’t grab onto.

I can’t remember the name of that special bit. It looks like a normal hex bit but is filled with a bunch of spring loaded small hex ‘sticks,’ which when you place it on a hex bolt head, it conforms to the head and allows you to unscrew/screw.

What is this called…I’m sure it is on eBay but I just can’t locate it.

Lucky me, dealing with a SS 1982 35hp motor that isn’t pumping water right, but the impeller looks fine…just starting my ‘debugging’ process to find where the issue is stemming from.

jpatti75
      Participant

US Member

Sounds like you’re referring to one of these?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gator-Grip-3 … /100351756

JP

johnyrude200
        Participant

And…THAT would be it!!!!! THANKS.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I have been looking for that also – now I know where to look ,,, Thanks

johnyrude200
            Participant

found them on eBay for $8-9 with free shipping, mailing in from USA. If you’re patient, you can get the same one from overseas for a couple of bucks less. Or you can head down to HD and pay the $12.

Mumbles
              Participant

But wait! There’s MORE!

Didn’t K-tell sell those sockets on late night TV years ago along with The Pocket Fisherman, Miracle Clean and a bunch of other products we just can’t be without? Especially when they are only nine ninety nine!

One good use I’ve found for the socket is loosening the big flat flywheel nuts on pre-war motors. A normal socket can’t get a grip on them.

david-bartlett
                Participant

Mumbles,

Nothing like TV to sell stuff that nobody wants or needs. My son just picked up a Pocket Fisherman at a yard sale, complete with all it’s original tackle. He is using it to exercise the Cat!

As for the Gator Grip socket, I too have one of those and find that it is mostly useless, EXCEPT for the uses mentioned in this thread. Weird shapes, etc. So if it works on these things it is worth keeping in the box for that unforeseen adventure!

The Boat House
                  Participant

I was given one some time ago by a friend.
                    Played around with it when I first got it
                    but it just been sitting in my box since then.
                    If there was ever a time it would have been
                    useful for me to use I never thought to try it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.