Home Forum Ask A Member Vintage Tohatsu info needed- now with pics!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    thepetrolist
    Participant

I was just given what is believed to be early 1970’s,late 60’s Tohatsu Sea Swallow 5 hp. Anyone got any info about these? Again, I tried googling but didn’t come up with anything. It is one cylinder, two stroke, air cooled. F-N-R gearbox. Three blade prop. Internal gas tank.
      It is a non runner at the moment, but I see no reason why it shouldn’t run. Did a quick check up and its got spark and the carb is in good shape. It is quite rough around the edges but I think I’ll repaint it..

Any info apreciated!

thepetrolist
      Participant

The model name is apparently B9A. There really is nothing to be found on google! Seems to me that it is a somewhat rare engine (no, not thinking of value).
        I’ll try to snap some pics tomorrow. It’s a real ugly duckling 😆

debe
        Participant

I have a Tohatsu M5A2 which is exactly as you describe yours. I use mine on a 10F tinny. I also have a copy of a workshop manual, which took some finding. Cant post it here as I cant post pictures.

Anonymous

I bought a Tohatsu parts manual from a deal whom went out of business. I will if your motor is included, but won’t be until either late Monday night or Tuesday evening.

legendre
            Participant

According to their website, Tohatsu was OEM’ing outboard motors for Nissan and Brunswick at various times. Might be a documentation lead in there..

thepetrolist
              Participant
                quote legendre:

According to their website, Tohatsu was OEM’ing outboard motors for Nissan and Brunswick at various times. Might be a documentation lead in there..

That is true. Nowadays, all japanese made under 30 hp Mercury, Nissan and Mariner outboards are made by Tohatsu.

quote Mercman:

I bought a Tohatsu parts manual from a deal whom went out of business. I will if your motor is included, but won’t be until either late Monday night or Tuesday evening.

Please do that! Kind of you.

Here comes some pictures of the ugly duckling

More pics to be found at:
                http://www.thepetrolist.blogspot.com

debe
                Participant

That is the same as my Tohatsu outboard. If you want a copy of the workshop manual (28 pages) PM your Email address.

legendre
                  Participant

I’m amazed at how crude the basic design is, for a motor of the late 60s. The bolt-on, British-style throttle is also totally unexpected – it’s just not like the Japanese.

It must have some real charms, though, as it looks like it’s done more than one lifetime’s worth of service.

retiredoz
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

My handy-dandy motor bible says the M5A2 is a 1981. Looks pretty modern to me.

thepetrolist
                      Participant
                        quote retiredoz:

My handy-dandy motor bible says the M5A2 is a 1981. Looks pretty modern to me.

That might be so, but my engine is a B9A, not M5A2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.