Walbro Carb Float Spring

Home Forum Ask A Member Walbro Carb Float Spring

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

• Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

When I removed the bowl on my Western Auto Wizard 3.6 carb, a little spring was loose in the bowl. I figure it’s a float spring and I’m not positive how it goes back together correctly. At the moment, the float pin is running thru the spring with one end under the tab for the float valve needle and the other end is on top of the seal for the bowl. Any ideas?

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Mumbles,

I had the same question a couple years ago, but it was on a John Deere 110 Garden tractor with 12 horse Tecumseh. It has been long enough that I forgot the answer, but I found it some where on a JD forum. I just looked on MY Tractor Forum and there is a post that says the hooked end goes under the bowl gasket.

May help, may not.

bill-russell

Replies: 39
    Topics: 4

I have worked on many of those carbs.in the picture, the spring is on backwards.I don’t have a picture,but the long spring leg rests on the upper right of the float. Think of it as a helper spring to add bouyency to the float.the spring does not sit over or under the gasket. I hope this helps. Bill

lotec

Replies: 162
    Topics: 10

Bill is 100% correct, in your photo it is backwards. The 78-84 Chrysler looper 6/7.5/8hp models I’ve been messing with all use the Walbro LMB carbs with that spring. No matter how careful you are, it is always guaranteed to fling itself across your shop when you pull out the pin! 😮 The manual has a page for best practice when re-installing it – I will try to scan and post it tomorrow night for you.

The manual doesn’t explain what its actual purpose is – frankly 1/2 of the motors I have were missing that spring and I can’t see any difference in how they run now that it is replaced. You’d think it would impact the float height, but I can’t tell any difference in the performance, idle, etc……

Mumbles

Backwards eh? OK, thanks guys! I’ll take it apart again in the daylight and try to figure it out.

So Bill, should the long part be on the outside of the float and be visible from the same camera angle?

Mumbles

More like this?

I couldn’t wait till tomorrow.

bill-russell

Replies: 39
    Topics: 4

You are very close with that arrangement. The long leg@ the right is correct.the short leg is correct, except it rests against the verticle post below the float pin. The brass float,in some cases ,due to it’s weight needed the helper spring.I also have seen many of them missing that seem to do fine.

lotec

Replies: 162
    Topics: 10

Okay, I can’t seem to get a PDF to post so you can see it here, but this link to it on my website will work. This is what the 1979 Chrysler looper 6/7.5 manual says on the assembly of the Walbro LMB 215 – while a different carb model from the earlier one you have Jim, I believe the instructions will help:

http://www.oddjobmotors.com/images/chrysler/7p5_looper_carb_assy.pdf

Here’s a photo of one of my LMBs assembled. The new replacement springs are included in Walbro kit K1-LMB (about $15.00 on-line) and don’t have the short "L" but are just straight – so you don’t see it hooking around the right-hand pin post in this photo:

I’d still like to know what the miserable spring is supposed to do – other than fly across your shop and get lost whenever you try to pull out the hinge pin…… 😳

Mumbles

Thanks for the link Art!

The motor is a ’62 and all I can make out on the carb is 159. There might be some more numbers or letters under the paint though.

I like this motor! I fired it up today without the spring and was impressed how quiet and smooth it runs! I thought it might be real noisy like an air cooled motor but as soon as the water made it’s way thru the system, it quietened right down. Some fuel is leaking out of the bowl but I think I can solve that problem. Other than that so far, so good! 😀

edgartc

Replies: 14
    Topics: 7

That spring keeps "or at least tries to keep" the float valve closed when the motor is tilted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.