Home Forum Ask A Member Walbro Carb Float Spring

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    lotec
    Participant

Is this one of the West Bend sourced motors or a Wiz-badged Scotty? You reference both air & water cooling so I’m guessing a WB? I’ve had no end of trouble with that era Walbro and the drain and Remora-like high speed needle protuberance – they all leak like a seive. They only used the Walbros for a year or two then went back to the Tillotson MD, there must have been a reason….. I don’t think any of the ones I’ve had still had the spring – given the propensity for leakage, it must have been lost by prior owners years before I got ahold of them!

Thanks to EdgarTC for a possible reason for the spring – I hadn’t considered that!

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

And when you get done piddling with that Walbro you can go back and find a Tillotsen carb that just works…lol

Mumbles
        Participant

Ha ha, yeah, I Just got home so I’m going to take another look at it now. And Oz, I do have a NOS in the box MD 11A Tilly sitting here but I’m saving it for a late forties Sportsman! 😀

Mumbles
          Participant

I played with the spring again and I think I have it right now. The bowl doesn’t have that pesky drain which can leak so the leaking might have been because of a fibre washer I placed between the nozzle and the bowl. It didn’t seem necessary there so I moved it to the outside under the bowl nut. Now the bowl seems to be tighter on its seal. I’m also betting the McCulloch crew built this motor early Monday or late Friday as the carb cover decal isn’t very straight! 😀

jram
            Participant

Hello all, I am a newbie and this is my first post. I recently received a free 1962 Scott Mcculloch hp outboard motor.It hadn’t run in 7 years or so. I cleaned the carb,gas tank, points and all of the other basic tune up items, it runs nicely now except for a bit of a bog at high speed(not sure why). I came across this post because mine also has the Walbro LMG 159 without the drain. I’m wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a float bowl gasket? I now have one on that I made from rubber gasket material but it leaks a bit. Any idea of where to find these?
              I’m also interested in possibly replacing the carb with a Tilotson if it’s an easy swap, any info on this would be greatly appreciated as well.
              Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.