Home Forum Ask A Member Water in the driveshaft?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vikkip
    Participant

I’ve been resurrecting a 1950 TN26 that’s been sitting for 49 years and it now starts and runs on one pull. It spits water out of the tell-tale. It has two issues:

Once it’s been running 5 minutes or so, it starts to run roughly and spit out the slow needle port. If I put it in gear and throttle up, it will start to bog and will stall within a minute or so. (running in a barrel)

Also it is spitting water out of the top of the driveshaft tube through two small slits on the side of the tube. I don’t think that’s supposed to happen.

I am brand new to outboards, so advice to this rookie is appreciated!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Check the fuel filter in the tank. Spitting is a sign of running lean (not enough fuel)

I’m not sure what slits you are speaking of, but it probably is normal. Probably exhaust relief ports. Spent cooling water goes out with the exhaust. Perhaps somebody with a TN can look and confirm.

wedgie
        Participant

These two holes ? Edit: oops, the pic is of a tn20

vikkip
          Participant

That’s them! I was just marking up a photo. All the manuals and forums mention watch the tell-tale, which is in the elbow on the other side, but I hadn’t found any reference to those holes/ports/whatever they are.

wedgie
            Participant

Sorry, It’s been a while since I’ve had this one running so I don’t remember noticing water coming out those two holes. 😳

Mumbles
              Participant

Idle relief ports?

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Exactly, they are exhaust relief ports to reduce back pressure for easier starting and better idle. And the cooling water that has gone through the powerhead and done it’s job does blow out those holes. It was on it’s way back to the lake anyway.

49hiawatha
                  Participant

Frank over the past few years I have learned so much from you I just want to thank you. You remind me of my Hudson mentor in 1961 (Al Wolf) who took me as a kid under his wing, showed me the ins-out of Pre WWI Knox, Hudsons etc.He made me the 1948-54 Hudson expert that I became . Now I have downsized and gone to the outboards. Take care but your knowledge lives on to all who want to learn.

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

Water spray from the exhaust relief ports is 100% normal. It would be of concern if there was no water coming out of those ports.

vikkip
                      Participant

That’s great news! Thanks to all of you. It’s hard being a brand new owner of a 66 year old motor that sat for 49 years, when I have no experience at all in boats or motors. Gotta start somewhere…

I was reading random threads in the forum last night and learned there was supposed to be packing around the slow needle. So I removed the needle and its nut and found some cardboard like crumbs, which I picked out as best I could. I made 3 washers from thin chrome tanned leather and soaked them in WD-40 then installed them along with the needle and nut. I hope that works!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.