Home Forum Ask A Member Water in the driveshaft?

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

I have heard of people using waxed dental floss or fishing line in a pinch if your on the water. Your method sounds like a winner.

Joe

vikkip
      Participant

I was getting ready to pack the motor up for a trip this weekend and found it dumping gas. The float is sticking, so I think some junk must have found its way into the carb despite cleaning the tank and lines. Coming apart again…

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

If the float has recently been refinished, they do have a tendency to stick wide open. If you could wait a month or so to test it after refinishing that might not happen, but most of us don’t have that kind of time and patience. Eventually, the problem will go away with time and use.

In the meantime, keep a small piece of wire with you when you turn the fuel on. If the float sticks, and the carb starts dumping fuel, insert the wire into the needle guide on the carb cover, and tap the top of the float needle until it comes free and floats as it should. Also, light tapping on the bottom of the carb with a screwdriver handle/dowel/etc. will often free the float.

If I have a motor with a float that I suspect may stick, I will turn on the fuel, and then turn off the fuel immediately to fill up the bowl. If no leaks, then turn the fuel back on and you’re good to go.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.