Home Forum Ask A Member Water pump – ‘56 Firestone 30HP

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jpatti75
    Participant

US Member

Bucc,

I know a couple guys doing tests with those Honda impellers that are reporting good results, too. Well done!

I’m not sure about the 16HP models … mine is the less abundant 30 HP model, and it does not have the baffle plate. There is, however, a big rubber gasket/grommet at the base of the crankshaft to seal off where the crankshaft mates with the driveshaft. They must have wanted provide the crankshafts/driveshaft a little extra protection from water since the water pump is spewing water from the four holes in the cover so close by.

JP

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I sort of remember a service bulletin concerning that boot to protect the splines.

jpatti75
        Participant

US Member

It’s a fairly substantial boot, protruding about 1.5” from the base of the powerhead. Seems to have done its job for the last 65 years, as the splines are still in great shape. I still slathered everything with a generous amount of grease prior to assembly.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

One of my 7.5’s splines are good, the other “so – so”, so thanks for the reminder
            about water intrusion to the splines.
            The “grab handle” assembly plate covers the top of the LU housing, and
            has a cork gasket affair where the driveshaft goes through. I’ll have to
            make sure that’s in good order.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.