Home Forum Ask A Member Water tube

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

Working on a 1978 25hp Evinrude. The lower unit was leaking so I dropped the l/u. In doing so, for the first time, (yes, I live under a lucky moon) the water tube came down with the l/u. Now I am having difficulty putting the tube into the power head. It will stay in place, but I can tell that it is not totally in place. I have tried greasing it and to no avail. Any suggestions? I am not crazy about pulling the head just for this. The tube does have a knurl at the impeller end of the tube.
      Thanks in advance.
      Bob

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Actually, it doesn’t go into the powerhead. It goes into a rubber grommet (#117) like the one in the water pump. It is on the forward side of the inner exhaust tube. And there is a guide (#9) to help your aim. If it doesn’t slide in securely with the help of some grease, my guess is the rubber is burned up from overheating of the exhaust tube. If that is the case, sorry but the powerhead has to come off.
        http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … sing-25+Hp

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Maybe you can peek up inside and see if the grommet is messed up, the plastic guide tube may have melted as well.

rjoynt
          Participant

US Member

The eyes are getting old. Anyone know if there is a reasonable priced camera available?

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Amazon.com. Look for borescope. There are some pretty nifty ones out there. Doctors have been using them for years to look in strange places. Now they are getting cheap enough we mere mortals can have one. But I don’t yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.