Weber…scrubber

Home Forum Ask A Member Weber…scrubber

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

I searched  a few big  hardware store near me and could not find a decent  long brush  to clean up  my carbonized Johnson cd18 lower housing and parts

found something at Home Depot   in the BBQ section… a nice long stiff bruh for a BBQ   which  I sqeezed into a long brush with real nice stiff SS steel fingers

see pics

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by crosbyman.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by crosbyman.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

A bottle brush from the dollar store will also reach down into the exhaust housing.

RICK EICHRODT

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 267
    Topics: 79

I have heard that “Eazy Off” oven cleaner works great in dissolving carbon built up in the exhaust housing.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok thanks    I hear  easy off is very harsh on aluminum but yes in that section of the  engine  it is not to bad …a good  flush will do to remove  it

I have  used my new colonoscopy  brush with success.    narrow in places but OK  I guess      I kept a bend in it which  I will straighten .

stains remain but all the carbon  has been vacummed out incl PH exhaust area .  🙂

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

In my typical restoration projects, I have always used Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the carbon buildup in the exhaust housing.   It can be harsh on the aluminum, so I typically let it soak for no more than 20 minutes or so.   That’s usually enough to soften the carbon deposits that can then be removed with a good flush from the pressure washer.  Here’s a pic of one such cleaning.

02-EasyOff-to-Clean-Carbon

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

Bob  nice job  … I’ll keep that in mind for the next one.   power washing in the basement is out …..Currently  my lower housing is simply blackened  but all the chunks are gone . installed a new base gasket  and closed it up  after  doing the impeller.

unfortunatly for now my pressure tester  is unavailable  to test the GC but it… looks ok   waithing for Spring 23 to test further  and  adjust the idle /fast   needles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.