Home Forum Ask A Member What issues can cause surging?

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

Sure does sound like a fuel issue… What kind of fuel line and primer bulb are you using? If it’s an aftermarket line, the inner barrier in the hose will come apart and restrict fuel flow. Pull the fuel line connectors off each end and have a look inside. You can usually see it when you look inside the fuel line. If aftermarket, I would replace it now, cause it will eventually come apart anyway. The aftermarket fuel line quick connectors don’t seal right either…. and can suck air (vaccume leak) while underway… another possible cause of surging. You mentioned that squeezing the primer bulb made no difference? A plugged fuel supply line cannot be overcame by squeezing the bulb.

majorramifications
      Participant

I suspected the fuel line, but I did plug an extra motor side connector into it and it flowed plenty of fuel when I pumped the bulb. People asked about the fuel filter but I don’t have one on this motor other than the screen at the fuel pump inlet (I had swapped on a later small square fuel pump).

I’m thinking maybe change the plugs, which I already did, use another fuel tank or at least another fuel line, and also bring some WD-40 or something to spray onto the crankcase covers to see if I can find a leak there while it is surging.

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone want to buy a ’63 15HP Gale Buccaneer that runs great in a barrel? (joke)

mikeg
        Participant

How about the “o” ring in the fuel connector?- or the fuel pick – up screen in the tank ?

majorramifications
          Participant

Oh Happy Day!
            Most of you guys said it sounded like a fuel issue, but Fleetwin nailed it. Some idiot (that I call me) had installed the new carburetor float upside down!
            Thanks so much!!

Put it back together correctly, finally got a chance to get it on the water, and WOW, does it run!
            This is the biggest outboard I have ever run on my boat, and it really flies. It starts easily, idles smoothly, and gets up and goes. So I was enjoying the wind in my hair and appreciating the beauty of God’s creation when the boat started slowing…and slowing, but the motor was revving. Apparently the rubber inside the prop started slipping so I had a LONG SLOW ride back to the launch with the engine running just above idle.

I think I’ll start a new thread if I can’t find an inexpensive fix for this.

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

Yup, most likely a spun hub.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.