What props fit a ’79 Evinrude 35?

Home Forum Ask A Member What props fit a ’79 Evinrude 35?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

• wetwillie

Replies: 91
    Topics: 15

I’d like to buy a couple of different pitched used props to determine the best pitch for my application.
    Where can I find a table, if one exists, of what yr and hp motors use the same size prop as mine does?

Thanks again for all the help I continue to receive on here.
    Willie

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

I found this list for your 35. You’ll have to check the P/N’s to see what else they fit.

Attachments:

wetwillie

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I’d like to ask what company’s part numbers are in this chart?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4744
    Topics: 46

Those are OMC/BRP part numbers. Your 35hp came with the standard 13" pitch prop. The larger pitch props are only suitable for lighter performance style hulls. The 11" prop is probably best for a heavier rig, or a boat used frequently with a lot of gear/passengers. I don’t recommend the SST props for most applications.

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

Propco has a good selection at good prices if you buy the cast aluminum ones –
    Here’s a link – scroll downuntil you find your motor:

http://propcopropellers.com/evinrude—johnson.html

wetwillie

Thanks again guys. I especially appreciate the propco info and link. FWIW, the 35 is mounted on a 12′ 250 lb hull. Current prop size is 10 x 13. I won’t know what it’s taching at WOT until the next time I get it wet. I think getting a 14 or 15 pitch prop and/or one that’s a little larger diameter would be the right way to go. Thoughts?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so you do have a lightweight hull. It will really help to know just what RPM the engine turns up with your standard 13" prop before trying others. This engine does not have a rev limiter, so you will get a true reading. Optimal WOT RPM for this engine is between 5000 and 5500. The four blade props will help get the boat on plane if it struggles to do so, but I’m "guessing" you will see the best all around performance with the conventional 15" three blade prop. The 14" four blade prop will probably be best if you plan to pull skiers/tubers.
    Needless to say, propping is far from an exact science. So, let’s get a true WOT RPM reading with your current 13" prop, and go from there.
    What type of tach will you be using? Is it a dash mounted tach that is wired up to the engine? If so, please remember that this small charging system is unique in terms of tach settings. The OMC dash mounted tachs get set to position "5". Read the directions provided with aftermarket dash mounted tachs….

wetwillie

I’ll be using an LED tach I picked up on eBay. The "universal" type that gets its signal from a wire wrapped around a plug lead. I’m hoping its adequate.
    As for the prop suggestions, I’ll have to see how much room I have for a larger diameter prop. I do agree that establishing a baseline re: RPM @ WOT is the best place to start.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

when you say diameter, I am assuming you mean pitch…

wetwillie

Actually, I was referring to the diameter. My comment was based upon slightly larger diameters being available. My rationale being that the best way to go is to have the largest diameter prop of the proper pitch. Am I correct?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.