Home Forum Ask A Member Where to get keys for old ignition setup

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
      quote Billy J:

While on the subject of keys. I have a late 1950’s mercury electric start 2 lever throttle gearshift control that I also need an ignition start key for. Any hints on getting a key for a Mercury?

My buddy and I were at the dock a couple months ago and he realized that he forgot to bring the key to his 1960 Merc 700. A quick run through of the keys on his ring found an exact match in a Master padlock key that he had. I also found that my trigger lock key works in John Deere Gators and Polaris snow machines 🙂 It never hurts to try other keys. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

fastjohn
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Billy J Carefully take the gearshift control box apart, noting where everything goes. If you are lucky, there will still be the small piece of paper with the key number on it.

lindy46
        Participant

US Member
          quote wbeaton:

quote Billy J:

While on the subject of keys. I have a late 1950’s mercury electric start 2 lever throttle gearshift control that I also need an ignition start key for. Any hints on getting a key for a Mercury?

My buddy and I were at the dock a couple months ago and he realized that he forgot to bring the key to his 1960 Merc 700. A quick run through of the keys on his ring found an exact match in a Master padlock key that he had. I also found that my trigger lock key works in John Deere Gators and Polaris snow machines 🙂 It never hurts to try other keys. Sometimes you just get lucky.

I had a 1957 Ford which would start with ANY key you put in! In fact, you could start it with a screwdriver to turn the ignition.

billy-t
          Participant

Thanks everyone, I was away on vacation. Will have a look and see if I can find any clues this weekend.

Appreciate all the help.

Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.