Home Forum Ask A Member Which year is this Johnson 25 hp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evinrude 25
    Participant

Hello,
      I still have many projects on going but just saw it is on sale for $100 and want to get it for future project. It looks in rough shape but is it restorable?
      By the way, I guess it is about post 1957. No name plate!

Johnson1

Johnson2

Johnson3

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That is a 1955 Johnson 25hp, and it looks like it might be an electric start model…
        Don’t let its rough looks discourage you…Go and have a close look, check compression, check gear lube for water, look for signs of overheat, etc…. These are nice engines, especially with electric start….

Evinrude 25
        Participant

Yes, your are right! I have 1953/1954 25hp Evirude (picture) but could not get it run. Has new coils, good spark and compression 110/108 psi. I guess it would need a carb rebuilt and need a new float.
          It is a manual pull starter and need a muscle to pull it! It will be nice to have the electric starter.

Mumbles
          Participant

It has the connectors for forward controls and remote steering on it so see if it still has the spring and friction block inside the tiller grip as these are often removed and lost over time. Both transom clamp screw handles are missing to. It also has the stamped pointy style throttle gears so they should be checked for damage. One really good thing I notice is the thin casting where the tiller attaches is still on. This usually gets broken off over time. To run reliably, this motor will probably need a full going over including a gearcase seal kit , water pump kit, carb kit, all electrical components being replaced along with the steering bushings possibly needing replacing. These parts all add up so I’d offer the seller half of what he’s asking and go from there. If a rust free and working pressure tank is included, that would be a bonus.

55-RDE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.