Who made this?

Home Forum Ask A Member Who made this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)

• Matthew Pieklik

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 117
    Topics: 46

Well, I acquired this outboard I would say 20 years ago and it has been racked ever since. Now it’s time has come. I think that it is a Montgomery Ward 5 hp Sea King. Pretty dirty on the outside but if you look at the power head, It looks brand new. I wonder if the power head was replaced. I know it has a WICO ignition, says so on the fly wheel. I can’t find any model /serial number on it any where. The lines on the mid section make me want to say Chrysler/ Force. Get a good look at the lower unit / gear box. It bolts on to the mid section. I don’t know who’s design that is. Also, check out the epoxy ring on the end. Not sure if it froze and cracked it , Is there a retainer nut like Mercurys keeping the bearing carrier in place?
    I searched for info on this outboard and found scratch. Can you guys pipe in with with your thoughts on this outboard? I would like to get it running so I can go win some races!
    Thanks for your help , Matt.

IMG_2344

IMG_2345

IMG_2346

IMG_2342

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

chrysler ?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737

Boy it sure is clean under the hood, looks original though, don’t think the powerhead was replaced…
    Don’t know what that ring of goop is around the gearcase head….Perhaps this was a substitute for an oring or gasket….

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Chrysler. Only guessing without a model number, but this is for a 1969 9.2hp. Bearing housing is held in by a snap ring, not JB Weld.

12.-Gear-Housing

11.-Gear-Housing-Parts-List

Matthew Pieklik

Replies: 117

Found the Id tag under a ton of grease . It is a Montgomery Wards model VWB 19072 and the serial is 46x 11911.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

1964, 5hp, made by Chrysler

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

West Bend –>> Chrysler. The snap ring gearcase can come apart when it’s run with the snap ring not fully seated. And once the snap ring groove is buggered up …. My guess is you will find a ring of epoxy inside trying to hold the snap ring in place. But why so much on the outside?

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

how about a set screw or 2.

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

I’ve got the same motor here (except 1965) right now working on it for a neighbor, and have another that a friend gave me about 10 years ago when his friend threw it out. With a little carb tuning I got the neighbor’s motor running good, but it’s leaking gear oil out of a leg drain hole just above the lower gearcase so will look at that next – probably a seal on the driveshaft or shift rod.

Of interest is that JB weld patch in the photo Matthew posted that Amuller commented on above. The one I’m working on has those same parts that the JB weld is covering up aluminum-welded together, and the freebee I got has those parts loose with the propshaft, gears,. etc. sticking out about an inch, and I can pull them farther (I haven’t looked into why yet – probably that snap ring mentioned in the post above). That must have been a weak point for these motors! Photo below of the welded one.

I’ll be following this message string to learn more as Mathew’s work progresses! Thank you!
    Dave
    [/url]

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by outbdnut2.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

This 1964 motor had to be built by West Bend for Monkey Wards as Chrysler didn’t buy out West Bend until January of 1965.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.