Home Forum Ask A Member Wizard vs Mercury

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    speedlinerbu
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have a 1950 Mercury KF7 and a 1951 Wizard WG7. I understand the powerheads are very similar. Why then does the original Wizard oil spec call for 3/4 pt per gallon and the Mercury 1/2 pt.? Is this an attempt to make the Wizard appear substantially different from the Mercury or is it a legitimate need? The Wizard calls for a hotter spark plug than the Mercury. Is that to cope with the extra oil?

david-bartlett
      Participant

Speediliner,

Others who know more than I will give you the correct answer, but If I remember what I read, it is because Mercury had their own private brand oil that was required at that ratio. It also has to do with the Merc’s having full bearings throughout, and not just bushings.

I do not know if the Wizard was a fully jeweled motor as well.

jasonh
        Participant

Simply due to Mercury’s better oil. The wg7 is a 18 cu in and kf7 is a 20 cu in. Otherwise they are same engine particularly in regards to bearings.

wedgie
          Participant

I read somewhere on the old blue board that the Wizard had fewer reeds than their counterpart Mercury. I.E. Two reeds in the Wizard to four in the Mercury. Don’t know if that was across the board though.

dave-bernard
            Participant

kf7 had 4 reeds kg7 went to 8.

20mercman
              Participant

Dave is correct here that the KE-7 & KF-7 are 4 reed motors, but don’t count out those 4 reed motors. They run fantastic and start and troll easily. Our KE-7 pushed a 14′ Sea Nymph "Resorter" over 24 mph. Not bad for a "10" hp. motor. We are building our first KG-7, so we will see. Really the same powerhead through the Mk-20. The Wizard motors had shorter stroke, as that is what reduced the displacement. I still can’t figure out why Mercury bothered to do that, except perhaps that he wanted his motors to be a step above.

Steve

Anonymous

On my Wizard Outboard Page, there is a Mercury/Wizard comparison chart of Wizard model motors to their Mercury counter parts. It shows power-heads and lower-units. Go to http://www.wizardoutboardforum.com/techinfo.html and click on Mercury/Wizard comparison chart.

jasonh
                  Participant
                    quote 20mercman:

The Wizard motors had shorter stroke, as that is what reduced the displacement.

Steve

Not true. The displacement is smaller due to bore. They eventually just used same bore with full gear shift remote tank models.l, the powermatic 12 line.

John Schubert
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

The stroke was the same for Merc & Wizards, cranks were interchangeable between WG7/KE7/KF7/KG7/KH7/MK15/MK20/KG4. There are some other Wizard models I must of over looked. The MK25 crank has a larger top bearing surface & is not interchangeable with the foregoing models but there is a Wizard model that wit would interchange with. Some MK20H cranks have been known to have been in some Wizard model as well

20mercman
                      Participant

Sorry, brain fade!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.