Home Forum Ask A Member Wizard WN7 12HP Got me confused

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am trying to assemble the shifting mechanism on this motor. My issue is that the shift lever will not move from forward into reverse. I took the lower unit back off and I notice that the mechanism on the lower unit works opposite of the lever. In other words, I have the lever set to the left (which is forward). I try to move the lever to reverse but it won’t move and the lower unit is at the end of it’s travel in reverse.Something is not right here but I am not sure what it is. I did not take the lower unit apart but that does not mean someone else has.

Before I start tearing this apart, I thought I would ask you. I’m confused. How can I fix this.
      Thank you
      Bill

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

put lower in neutral and the lever in neutral and assemble

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Dave, (I should have also mentioned this) When I rotate the shaft on the lower unit, I don’t get a neutral, it clicks from forward to reverse. I have tried to move the shaft very slowly to find neutral but it isn’t there.

Also, I tried putting the lever in the middle and installing the lower unit, It won’t go!

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

you have turned the lower unit shaft to far and now it is very hard to get it back without removing the prop shaft. it can be done but is very hard to move it over the cam.

huntleybill
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ahhh. ok, I thought something was screwed up there. I’ll try taking it apart and setting the shaft correctly.
              Thank you Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.