Home Forum Ask A Member Working on a 1955 evinrude 7518 7.5 hp. Problem when I screw down the retainging

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    plymouth4
    Participant

When the retaining ring screws are tight I cannot turn the throttle shaft. Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks plymouth 4. The retaining ring is flat side down, fits in the grove on top of the engine. When all four screws are tight I cannot turn the
      throttle shaft. Have checked the clearance on the screws and their is sufficient clearance. All holes in retaining ring line up with the mag. plate.
      When screws are loose the mag. plate will turn withe the throttle shaft. This baffle me.

Thanks for any help. plymouth 4

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by plymouth4.
      olcah
      Participant

US Member

Just guessing that you are referring to the 4 screws that hold the magneto plate down? In that case could the ring the screws go into be upside down? If you describe situation a bit more completely one of the fellows that know this engine well will come along and answer your question.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Did it work before you took it apart? Kind of sounds like somebody bent or dinged the brass magneto support ring in an effort to tighten up a wobbly magneto plate. You didn’t do that did you?

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Retaining ring should be flat side up. As Frank noted, the brass support ring may also be bent.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by bobw.
            • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by bobw.
            plymouth4
            Participant

YES IT DID WORK. i HAD A WOBBLE IN IT AND TRIED TO STRAIGHTEN IT OUT. wILL CHECK IT OUT AGAIN. tHANKS FOR TH INFO. WILL KEEP POSTED ON PROGRESS.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The aluminum threaded retaining ring should be installed with the flat side up…Did you replace the coils? If so, I have found that some of the OEM coil screws are just a bit too long and can bind the mage plate….
                What did you do to “tighten” the wobbly mag plate? “Dimpling” the brass retaining ring is a very delicate process…The mag plate will bind if you were too aggressive…

plymouth4
                Participant

Yes I did the wobble plate fix. probably was to aggressive. Will check and report back. Coils were replaced.
                  Thanks for the info.

plymouth4
                  Participant

Rechecked the support ring, straightened the support out and reinstalled, and it worked. But, still have the magneto plate wobble. Any suggestions?
                    Thanks for all the info.
                    Plymouth 4

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you might look for another mag plate….But, keep in mind, that the boss on the crankcase might be worn also….Does it wobble up and down, or side to side, or both?

plymouth4
                      Participant

Wobbles up and down and side to side. The boss on the crank case seems to fit snug.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.