Home Forum Ask A Member Working on my first Zephyr…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    gjonz
    Participant

I know…I know…groan.

But my wife wants one. So I do’ed it for her.

Took the carb down and wondered if anyone has ideas on replacing the rubber primer plungers. Seems there are two if them…both of mine cracked.

Anyone…anyone? Buehler….Buehler?

Thanks!

Greg

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow, as the song say’s "The things We do for love".
        Sorry I can’t help but I’m gonna watch, because I’ve got one on the someday rack.
        Good Luck with it Greg!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

Mumbles
        Participant

A few years ago I used some cup style seals and they worked great but the plunger shaft had to be turned or ground down a bit to get them to fit properly. The P/N is circled in red and a Google search should bring them up. These cups also come in different sizes and can be adapted to the 4323 Sportwins and Vacturi carbs with primer pumps.

Don’t be embarrassed by buying a Zephyr. They’re great little smooth running motors when set up right! I’ll bet you’ll end up using it more than the missus! 😀

kevinrude
          Participant
            quote Steve A W:

Wow, as the song say’s "The things We do for love".
            Sorry I can’t help but I’m gonna watch, because I’ve got one on the someday rack.
            Good Luck with it Greg!

Steve A W

I’ll be watching too (and maybe trekking down to Toledo for a look-see) because I have 3 (!) of them on the Someday Rack.

P.S. Thanks for the post, Steve. I never knew what to call that rack before 😀

billy-j
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have one on the rack too. I know nothing about them but it looks cool. Are the original primer plungers not available any more? Mumbles is the plunger on the right a original style? What else is hard to find for this engine? Is the water pump rubber?I think mine is a 1948 Bill,

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Greg, I have 2-1/2 Zepher’s on the rack myself, so it would be great if you
                kept a list of replacement part numbers that fit, i.e., seals, bearings, rings, etc.
                Great information on the primers Mumbles. Thanks!
                Buccaneer

Prepare to be boarded!

genia
                Participant

The water pump is metal, not rubber, which is nice.

b-morrison
                  Participant

Canada Member

Have at it guys…I got one too. Love the look but so uncertain where to begin. Bought mine when the threat of it being scrapped was mentioned. Maybe with a bunch of us asking and pleading we’ll all get-er-done….Brian

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 1949 Zephyr with the angled "fisherman" lower unit has a rubber impeller water pump. All the others, as far as I know had the metal impeller.

Joe B

wiscoboater
                      Participant

"Working on my first Zephyr"

You have my condolences…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.