Home Forum Ask A Member XD-100 and full syntetic E/J oil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Is there any difference between these two products? My local Wally-World has full synthetic BRP oil (E-J labeled), but I have a 2014 ETEC I acquired that calls for the XD-100.

My understanding is XD-50 is a semi synthetic whereas the 100 is full.

Still expensive IMHO at $28 per gallon. But cheaper than a replacement motor!

rmhxruss
      Participant

This oil thing with BuRP leaves a lot of questions. The NMMA who does the oil rating. The old BIA. Only lists and tests for TCW-3 oil. The BuRP ratings are in house only not industry wide. The XD30, XD50 and XD100 should have a cross reference but none exists. BEL RAY sells JS-2 as a equal to XD100 but it is only semi synthetic not fully. Someone else should be in charge of testing TCW oil not NMMA. Johnson Evinrude BuRP sell a line of oil to non dealers but say nothing on the label about the XD listing but they are XD30 and XD50 oils. They only sell XD100 to the dealer network.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

On the ETEC user site some have indicated using AMSOIL full synt. oil to replace xd-100 with no ill effects

your 2014 may still be under warranty and if such is the case I would stick to xd-100 in case of any claims

XD-100 is clean not smelly smokeless and apparently cleans th innards on your engine (little or no carbon build up) 🙂

My 75 ETEC is 13 years ….running only old on xd-100 and basically I would not change it even at 50-60 $ CDN a gallon

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

chris-p
          Participant

I have tried a LOT of different oils. XD100 is by far the best, hands down. Open a motor up after running it for a few years. Clean as a whistle. No wear. No carbon build up. Incredible stuff.

Even the XD50 and XD30 oils are great. No smell, little smoke, no residue on the water. They burn clean. That’s all I use in any motor I run now.

johnyrude200
            Participant

Diving deeper into the ‘interwebs’ (not always good) I stumbled onto some conversations which bring up a point on how the ETECS are programmed to use less high quality oil but also can be programmed/set/switched to consume more of the lower quality oils to protect themselves (I.E. XD-50). As in 1 gallon of oil mixed with 100 gallons of gas in the right conditions (i.e 100:1).

Conversely, I also have a 2014 30hp set up for XD-50 by default which is a semi-synthetic.

The 2014 40hp this post is about has tags asking for XD-100.

Just want to treat the motors right, and underneath the cowel on these engines is a lot more going on then the typical 20 year old carbureted birds I work on everyday.

I bet if you premix your fuel and put cheap oil in the reservoir of one of these engines they’d still be OK………

(Pause for reaction)

bobw
              Participant

US Member

Far as I know, every WalMart I’ve ever been in only carries the E/J mineral oil and synthetic blend products. Even at that, those oils are not the same blend as the genuine BRP XD-30 and XD-50 oils, but are bottled for mass market sales like WalMart. If there is now a synthetic E/J oil at WalMart, it is surely another "mass market" product and is NOT the same as XD-100. There is no way that the real XD-100 sells for $28/gallon. More like $40-$45 at most on-line sales outlets. I bought some bulk XD-100 last year at $34/gallon and haven’t seen it that low since. If your ETEC is programmed for XD-100, that’s the only oil I would use. I run it in my 2014 ETEC 150 and won’t use anything else.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

johnyrude200
                Participant

Well, the full synthetic EJ STUFF AT walmart for $28.00, it has BRP’s contact info on it not Walmart.

So what the hell are they selling this for? To cater to defunct OMC outboard owners?

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

They know that everyone goes to Wal Mart to buy everything from groceries to Tvs to toilet brushes… and to pick up some 2 stroke oil while your at it. Quicksilver also has the economy Multi Use 2 cycle oil there, on the shelf with Super Tech. The bottom line is, they can sell a lot of product there.

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote Chris_P:

I have tried a LOT of different oils. XD100 is by far the best, hands down. Open a motor up after running it for a few years. Clean as a whistle. No wear. No carbon build up. Incredible stuff.

Even the XD50 and XD30 oils are great. No smell, little smoke, no residue on the water. They burn clean. That’s all I use in any motor I run now.

My V45 that I purchased from the late Rob Emert was ran on XD100. I remember him telling me that’s the only oil he used in that motor. I may have to pick up some of that and give it a try.

chris-p
                      Participant

You have to remember, "Product X" that you buy at Walmart is not the same "Product X" that you buy at Home Depot.

My Family is in the Import business. Walmart has company’s like say Dewalt downgrade the bearings, electrical, etc…. in their drills, so they can sell them at a lower price point in their stores.

I spend more on my morning coffee than the oil I put in my motor for an early morning fishing trip. I buy OEM Oil from the Dealer, enjoy my coffee, and know that my motor is protected. If you are worried about a few bucks in extra oil, you probably shouldn’t be boating. There are more important things to worry about in life. Protect your motor and enjoy it! That is my motto.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.