Home Forum Ask A Member 100 octane low lead fuel ok?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rvdriver
    Participant

I have access to aviation fuel.its 100 octane low lead. Can I safely use this in my 1958 Evinrude 35 Big Twin?

Thanks,

Steve
      Lake Granbury Tx.

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

There is no good reason to use Leaded fuel in a two cycle. There are several folks who use the 100LL in their outboards with success, but as for the need, it really isn’t there. The lead additive leads to heavy deposits in the exhaust system and also on the spark plugs. There is also an environmental component to not using leaded fuel in anything that does not need it. The best choice is to use a good Top Tier ethanol free fuel. You may only be able to access premium in the ethanol free formula. This the only option available in many areas, but it is definitely worth the effort having ethanol free in your two cycle motors. This is one of those topics like oil fuel ration that garners lots of opinions. YRMV (Your results may vary!)..

Steve

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Why?

That motor should run just fine with pump gas…and 24:1 mix

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

The 100 octane will not give better performance, and lead is not needed since there are no valves in a 2-stroke.
            Dave

rudderless
            Participant

If its free..otherwise no reason to spend money on it.

rvdriver
              Participant

Ok. I fly and have access to it. I wish there was an ethanol free fuel available in my area.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

amuller
                Participant

As people have said, no advantage. Plus there are health and environmental consequences. 100LL can have up to 2 gm/gal TEL, which is really nasty stuff….

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Ethanol-free is an advantage!

The only reason we can buy ethanol-free in Minnesota is because the Minnesota Street Rod Association lobbied our legislature for it – and of course, they wanted and got it in premium for their cars, so that’s what the ethanol-free stuff here is. We owe them!
                    Dave

20mercman
                    Participant

US Member

Check out this site to find the nearest ethanol free fuel.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Steve

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote 20mercman:

Check out this site to find the nearest ethanol free fuel.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Steve

Interesting handy site! – but a phone call to the station first may save some time. I looked up a couple towns near me and found two stations on the list that discontinued ethanol-free a couple years ago.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.