Home Forum Ask A Member 115 Evinrude Over Heat

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good idea! Getting involved with this poor ol salty dog will be like stepping in quicksand, and I’m sure the owner isn’t ready for the financial commitment! Too bad though, these were great engines.

Mumbles
      Participant

I’s funny how a good sleep can change a persons outlook on things!

Now I’m thinking I better try and remove the heads to see if one bank isn’t plugged by a broken up diverter. It runs great and was supposedly rebuilt a few years ago so I better go on the hunt for gaskets.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim,
          Makes me worry about me 1979 Evinrude 85hp. Time for a new impeller for sure!!

johnny-infl
          Participant

Funny that this should show up. Disclaimer: I am NOT a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

A couple of years ago, I had a 1979 Johnson 25 that had overheated with the previous owner.
            After removing the heads, I saw that the "rubber things" in the water jacket had hardened and
            were crumbling from age and the overheat. With the help of "Pappy" here, I was able to replace them.
            First attempt I used the OMC replacement that was solid rubber and had a slight taper. This did not work
            AT ALL – – – chunked those, bought another set that resembled the rubber hose and they worked just fine.
            easy to install with a little gasket cement for lube and all went well.
            So from personal experience, I do not suggest the solid rubber with a taper unless your motor specifically calls for it.

Attachments:

Mumbles
            Participant

Excellent pics and explanation Johnny!

I’m waiting for the boat to come down from the lake so I should know soon if it is the deflectors causing the problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.