Home Forum Ask A Member 12 hp gale 1956

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    1957evinrude
    Participant

US Member

Looking for needle/seat numbers for a 12S12B 1956 Buccaneer A member messaged me for this information.My 56 Gale is different model number than his.

johnsonseahorse
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

hi sierra sells the needle and seat part number 18-7093 or 18-7074 both numbers will work.you can go to iboats or any internet sites and all those seats will work on all the small hp 25hp to 1.5 hps

johnsonseahorse
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

hi sierra sells the needle and seat part number 18-7093 or 18-7074 both numbers will work.you can go to iboats or any internet sites and all those seats will work on all the small hp 25hp to 1.5 hps omcs

frankr
          Participant

US Member

1957evinrude and all, I believe I have had several discussions with that member on this issue. The N/S is part number is 376137. It is a special part because the 12S12 has an integral tank and the hole in the float valve seat is very large to allow enough flow to supply the engine with only a couple inches of gravity pressure on the fuel. His problem arises because this motor has been converted to fuel pump, and pressure exerted by squeezing the primer bulb forces the needle off the seat and the carb overflows. But I understand it works fine when running with only fuel pump pressure behind it.

With all that history, it is my belief that what he really is looking for is a float valve with a smaller seat hole. As I remember, that carburetor has a different thread size than "normal" OMC carburetors, so the "normal" float valve will not fit. Unless somebody knows of a needle & seat with a smaller hole that will fit that carb, I don’t think there is a cure for the overflowing except more gentle squeezing of the primer bulb

OR…if it that annoying, perhaps he might consider swapping the carburetor with one from a 12hp Deluxe motor (which used a remote tank and fuel pump and "normal" float valve). I haven’t explored that possibility, but am guessing it will work.

Disclaimer: Of course, I might have the wrong member and discussion in mind.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

frankr
              Participant

US Member

If you want to get real adventurous, get somebody to bush the 12S12 carburetor to accept a standard float valve.

adam1961
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Frank,
                  Do you know if this also applies to the 5HP Gales? I am working on a 5HP Viking with the integral tank. I took a carb body from a 1958/59 motor that had a remote tank. I see that the motor with the integral tank has fittings with a larger ID on the tank and carb inlet. Should the needle have the larger opening too? I see now that the part number changes when the integral tank is omitted, but do not have a needle and seat on hand to visually compare.

I could not get the seat out of the old carb body no matter what I tried. Someone has definitely done a shadetree job of putting a kit in it and I am now wondering if they somehow glued a smaller seat into the larger threaded opening.

seakaye12
                  Participant

US Member

Yes; I was the other member that Frank is referring to. I now have two of these Gale 12HP motors with the integral tank and the accompanying larger needle/seat in the carburetor.

It does indeed overflow badly from the vent openings with just easy to moderate squeezing of the primer. No real perceptible difference of "firmness" of the ball as the bowl fills. It just starts squirting.

I wonder if OMC/Gale offered a "kit" for converting these to a fuel pump…..or if people just bought the pump and hooked it up. You would surely think that if a "kit" was offered….it would have included a smaller needle/seat. But then it most likely would have starved for fuel if the integral tank was used instead. Especially if the integral tank was nearing empty with the resulting lower flow pressure.

The other thing that these motors exhibit with the integral tank is fuel starvation when the boat is high at the bow…..because the tank’s outlet is near the front of the motor…..and when the angle is up all the gas flows to the back. I think it would have been a lot better design if the fuel outlet on the tank was positioned at the back.

Not the best of design/engineering on these but they run well.

Thanks for all the help folks; I appreciate it. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future when they come across the "super-sized" needle/seat in their 12HP Gale.

Chuck

auldscott
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had a 1954 12 hp with an integral tank that I converted to use a fuel pump. Beginner’s luck; never knew about the differences in the carburetors but never had a problem with overflow from squeezing the primer bulb.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Adam, that’s a real good question concerning the 5hp. There has been many superseding numbers. But the best I can figure out is:

1956-57 with integral tank use 375918 replaced by 379312 replaced by 387262 (18-7038).

1958-up with remote tank use 375985 replaced by 379313 replaced by 396522 (18-7094).

Y’all are going to have to take it from there and see what you find out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.