Home Forum Ask A Member 1914 Evinrude RBM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good morning all

I took out my 1914 Evinrude RBM yesterday with hopes of putting it on the boat. I could not get it started just a couple feeble coughs.
      I’ve had this running previously in a test tank but it’s been sitting for a couple years.
      I have fuel flow when the poppet valve is depressed. After a few tries the plug comes out wet.
      What are the general settings of the mixer to get it going?
      The poppet has a height adjustment knob with numbers as well as the needle valve.

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Those settings vary with each motor… mine runs at a lower number than most others, if the plugs are wet, close the bottom needle as the top is air.. once the bottom needle is closed, roll it over to start, it should fire after an attempt or so, and if you are quick enough you should be able to open the bottom valve one half turn, and hopefully it will still be running, adjust in small increments from there.

Hope this helps

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I don’t know much about RBM’s. My 1922 Model A starts best with the mixing valve turned out 1/2 – 5/8 turns. The poppet valve happens to be set around 2/3’s of a turn, but I don’t think that’s a big deal. I set mine while it was running on the boat and then left it alone. I’m currently working through some magneto issues so I don’t have much running time on the motor.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the replies. I’ll set the air at 3/4 turn and crack the fuel open a little from there.
            I started trying that Sunday but my arm got tired from cranking.

brook-n
            Participant

Morning Phil,
              As others have pointed out each motors setting are different.
              Needle & seat conditions will vary directly affecting this.
              One other thing that could cause this is a week battery or
              a bad plug.

Respectfully,

lyks2tinkr
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Brook

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the battery is OK as I run my quad on it. The buzz coil does throw a really hot spark. I will try a fresh plug next time

The Boat House
                Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                  lyks2tinkr
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the reply. I hope to give it a try again this week.
                    There is an adjustment on the points. Is there a preferred setting for them?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.