Home Forum Ask A Member 1926 Elto Super G

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

Intranet access here is poor. You have convinced me you understand the procedure for stating. The only thing I can think of is worm main bearings. Check the flywheel for side to side movement. If there is excessive clearance air is drawn into the crankcase and the motor won’t start.
      Tubs

Tfelty
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

After my last failed attempt I reviewed the entire motor with a flash light and “fine tooth comb. I discovered fuel running out from behind the carb. I cleaned up the fuel and tried to restart and more fuel is leaking again. Makes me think about your comment of excessive air getting into the crankcase. If fuel is getting out, then I know air is getting in. I’ll replace the carb gasket tonight with some thicker material to get a better seal and try again. The choke is functioning normally, however; it floods immediately if I choke it. If all else fails, I plan to drive down to the Houston chapter meet in October. I’m in the DFW area. Is the Tejas chapter still active?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Tfelty.
        The Boat House
        Participant

There is another possibility that has occurred to me. When you
          rebuilt the coil what did you use for a condenser. My only
          experience using a capacitor would produce a spark when tested
          but the motor wouldn’t run. Turned out the one I used wasn’t fast
          enough. (This was determined by another member – I have
          little understand of this stuff.) If you in fact used a condenser
          you may not have it wired correctly. As you are getting a spark, to
          test if it is a condenser issue ground one anywhere on the motor.
          Run the wire to the coil connection in the timer and and add it to
          see if it will start.
          Tubs

Tfelty
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You may be onto something here! At least it is something new to investigate. I included a pic of the one I used. Being rated 45-100hp then I guess it could be the incorrect size for this motor. I will replace and see what happens. Stay tuned…..

The Boat House
            Participant

I think it should run on that one if its good.
              Today new doesn’t necessarily mean good.
              Trying another will at least eliminate it as a problem.
              Be sure it is grounded to the motor.
              So I’m guessing you didn’t put the condenser in the coil tube?
              What coil did you use? Zephyr or military surplus?
              Tubs

Tfelty
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This was the coil I used from the coil rebuild YouTube video. I’m pretty certain it is correct. I did put them back in the tube with parafin wax exactly as the video showed, so I’m not looking forward to melting the wax. I’m over my head when discussing microfarad variations of condensers and how they impact the starting of an old motor. I do know this, so far nothing I’ve done has made any change in how the motor acts. I’m running out of possibilities, so seeing the current condenser is spec’d for a much larger motor could be a possibility. New condenser is ordered and should be here tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Tfelty.
                The Boat House
                Participant

Yes that is the coil. Determining microfarad value is a crap shoot.
                  Watching how the points pit can tell if your high or low over time.
                  You don’t have to get into the tube to do a test. Just ground the
                  condenser anywhere on the motor and extend the lead so you
                  can run the wire to the coil connection in the timer to see if it will
                  start. You can get the wax out with a heat gun. On low and not
                  too close. Position the coil so the wax can run out and let the warm
                  air blow into the tube. Again, not too close as you can damage
                  the tube. It takes quite a bit of time. About the time you have
                  3/4 of the wax removed from the tube you should be able to
                  push the rest out.
                  Tubs

Tfelty
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is an old post from 2019 titled  “condensor for Elto ace”. In the table posted by “Gary-in-Michigan” it does show my condenser 580256 is listed at .37-.41 MFD. It shows it should be .09-.125. I cross-referenced all of the original part numbers for the proper condenser and they all reference back to the condenser I just ordered 580321. If I search for the “OMC Univeral Condenser” I get either the 321 or 256 part number condensers. Looks like I had a 50/50 shot and picked the wrong one (story of my life). Using your removal instructions I’ll get the old tube taken back apart and wait for the replacement sized condenser. I sure do thank everyone for all of their suggestions. I’ll get it eventually, so stay tuned….

The Boat House
                    Participant

You are correct on the .09 -1.25 value for the Super Elto battery ignition but now
                      that you are using a completely different coil that specification would no longer apply.
                      Tubs

The Boat House
                      Participant

I use a condenser found in Chrysler products.
                        I request one for a 1968 Plymouth only because I have one.
                        My tester shows the value is .26 MFD. How close that
                        is to ideal I have no idea. I have a Speedster that I have
                        run a bunch over the years. I ran 50+ gallons of fuel
                        through it last year alone. The last time I looked at the
                        points I didn’t notice any extensive point ware. Some
                        Super Elto operating instructions suggest switching the
                        wires when connecting the battery from time to time..
                        This would reverse any pitting and maybe the
                        recommended value was not that close after all.
                        Tubs

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 83 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.