Home Forum Ask A Member 1928 Johnson "race" motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I was contacted today by a friend who knows I have this disease called antique outboards. Someone he knows has a 1928 40hp Johnson "race" motor that he wants to sell. Something like this is outside my wheelhouse but that doesn’t stop me from being intrigued. Looking online I couldn’t find anything that fit these criteria. Only possibility I could find might be the KR-4n but everything I found listed RACE in the hp column. Anyone have some additional info I can get that might let me know if this even exists? I have a pic but I’m having problems downloading it so I’ll post when I get it handled.
      Thanks
      Kirk

opposedtwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Probably a pr40? But nobody on planet earth made a 40hp motor in 1928.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Be prepared for disappointment. These things seldom ever turn out to be as advertised. It sure would be nice if it was. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Anonymous

Not holding my breath so no chance of being disappointed. Especially since this class of motor isn’t really my thing but hey, you never know if the price was REALLY right. Looking at some of the vintage race motors I’ve seen on the web it doesn’t look right to me. Anyway, here’s the only pic I have so let me know what the collective thinks. By the way, what was the hp rating of a KR-4n?
            Kirk

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

The Johnson KR40 is rated at 11 hp, about 20 CI class b motor. That looks like it could be one, a view of the rope shelve and model stamping would help. I’m sure some of our early Johnson experts can tell more from this picture. You should look into it it’s a cool motor.
              On second look, it has a stock looking 3 blade prop so it probably just a standard K Johnson. Still a good motor to have.

Anonymous

I was just looking online and found a site that sold a PR-40 which they labeled as a racing motor. Looks to my untrained eye that it was a match but what do I know? Just looked at a K-40 online and I can’t readily see the differences between the two.
                Kirk

lyks2tinkr
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The owner may be confusing 40 in the model with horse power.
                  From the one small picture and from my limited knowledge Johnson offered a P40 Big twin at 13.15hp ( I just got one) and a TR40 Giant twin at 25hp in 1928 and as mentioned above there are probably a few other models.
                  If by chance it’s a TR40 it’s really worth a look as those are really uncommon.

I can do a comparison of the picture with my motor when I get home.
                  It looks like it could be a P40 in what appears to be nice condition.

Anonymous

I asked for more pics, particularly of the sheave.The only other info I got was that the coils were shot which isn’t surprising to me.
                    Kirk

Anonymous

Also if you click on the pic in my post it will take you to the host site for a larger view.
                      Kirk

adam1961
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

If it turns out to be a TR-40…..That would be a great find. I have been on the hunt for many years and have not been able to get my hands on one yet.

People use the description "Racing Motor" liberally. It usually has more to do with how they used it than what the factory intended that it be used for LOL.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.