Home Forum Ask A Member 1929 Johnson Seahorse 3 A-45

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mortamie
    Participant

Hello all I was fortunate enough to pick up this motor at an auction for $30. I was able to get it started but dumb me forgot to check the oil in the lower unit. Well nough said, she ran for about 10 minutes before breaking both shear pins. I was fortunate that it did not damage the motor. Right now I have the lower unit off the motor I have cleaned the lower unit of the super old oil and have replaced both shear pins. I am now needing to replace the gaskets on the lower unit and reinstall the unit. My first question is what lower unit lube should I use? Second question is what is the fuel mix ratio for this motor?

Thank you in advance for any answers…

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

You can use Lubriplate 105 if you can’t get anything else.

These days, John Deere Cornhead Grease seems to be the preferred lubricant for the antique motor lower units.

Quick and dirty asnwer for gas-oil – Don’t run it any leaner than 16:1 for the oil mix.

PM T2

The Boat House
        Participant

mortamie
          Participant

Thank you both for your responses. Was wondering if I needed to pack the prop with grease as well or if it will automatically fill as I fill the lower unit or if it is even needed at all?

The Boat House
            Participant

You fill from the bottom.
              Top plug is a vent.
              When grease comes out
              the vent its full.

mortamie
              Participant

does this motor have a wick? And this might sound stupid but what is a wick exactly and what does it look like? I have found stuff saying here is a pic of the wick but I don’t know what I am looking at… sorry for all the questions, I can do the mechanic work just some things I have never delt with before…

mortamie
                Participant

Also i am missing the muffler I found a site that tells me how to make a new inner but what do I use for the outer? and on the carb I am missing the hot air intake tube, what can I use to replace this and how is it routed? Is there anywhere I can order parts for this motor or is it all fab work to replace or hoping someone has parts?

The Boat House
                  Participant

Dennis Trevathan makes mufflers and some other parts for the A Johnsons.
                    dtrev@comcast.net

Art decalb also makes some parts. He has the air intake tube but it will be
                    a rough cast aluminum part that will require some finishing.
                    http://precisionservoutboard.com/

Most parts come from other motors. You can place an want add in the
                    Free Classifieds section. ( read the rules before posting)
                    EBay is also a source good for parts.

The Boat House
                    Participant

Sent you a PM.
                      Check your messages
                      at the top of the page.

mortamie
                      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.