Home Forum Ask A Member 1930 Johnson Inboard Outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I rarely go on Facebook to peek at what’s there,
      but do find interesting things some times.
      What’s the story on this motor?
      It appears to be the "outboard" portion. What’s
      the Inboard portion look like?

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

this "johnsom Matched unit, Boat and Motor" … Museum in Finger Lakes New York area ( the name escapes me at the moment… Curtis ? )

Joe B

Attachments:

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

The item pictured is the remains of a Johnson Tilting Stern Drive marketed in the early 1930’s. It was a bold venture into the inboard marine designs back then and wasn’t successful. Johnson perfected the design from others that had come before. It was steerable with prop thrust instead of previous rudder designs, and would kick up in the even you hit something. The unit would mate with a suitable inboard engine and in the catalog Johnson had a formula for how much horsepower could be used at certain rpm’s. The problem was the inboard engine manufacturer didn’t want to issue a warranty on their engine when it was connected to another manufacturer’s drive system, and understandably so. The neat part about the stern drive was it had a tapered shaft which allowed it to use various props to achieve best performance.

In 2013 I did an article on the stern drive and over the years compiled a list of the known units. I located 9 of them in various conditions and have all the serial number but one from a unit missing the name tag.

The rig in the above pictures is a Johnson matched unit, which is different from the Stern Drive totally. The "Matched" Unit was totally a Johnson product and another blunder which put them into financial straights.

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

Pictured is a complete boat/drive/engine combination at the Curtiss Museum and an auction find now owned by one of our members.

george-emmanuel
            Participant

US Member

One thing I forgot to mention, and this may not be completely accurate, but to my knowledge, the first use of an adjustable torque fin on an outboard gearcase appears to be that of the Johnson Tilting Stern Drive. The Johnson P series in 1927 started using a torque fin (they called it an equalizer) on their gearcases but they were not adjustable. The fin on the Tilting Stern Drive is adjustable. You can see it on Greg’s picture.

bill-loveland
              Participant
                quote JoeCB:

this “johnsom Matched unit, Boat and Motor” … Museum in Finger Lakes New York area ( the name escapes me at the moment… Curtis ? )

Joe B

this is the VA-50 (55, 60, 65…?)

Basically a VE50 with the gas tank removed

the A was for Aquaflyer, the name Johnson gave to their matched boat/motor rigs

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Amazing technology for the times!
                  Thanks for the photos. Looks like I’ll have more photos
                  to add to my digital archives tonight.
                  Very interesting!

Prepare to be boarded!

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

Question… How was the stern drive unit tilted? Was it mechanically operated by cable and pulley? What were the push/pull controls on the dash of the boat for?

oldelto
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Museum in Hammondsport, NY?

george-emmanuel
                      Participant

US Member

Jerry,

They called it a "tilting" stern drive because it could swing up if it hit an underwater obstruction. There is a latch on it that has a shearpin. The latch keeps it from kicking up when in reverse, but if you hit something going forward it will shear the pin. If you want to know more, e-mail me: gemmanuel@bellsouth.net

Great being with you at Tomahawk!—-Love your motor!

George

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.