Home Forum Ask A Member 1930 Lockwood Chief Revival

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    pm-t2
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Indeed they did sell a kit to convert the 1928 Chief with above water exhaust over to a "Silent" Chief.

Your motor has the 1928 style tiller handle/throttle control as well as the ’28 carburetor. If its identified on the rope plate as an "82B" that should clinch it as a 1928 motor with the Silent Chief upgrade..

The 1929’s and 30’s were just ID’d as model "B".

BTW I see your drip tray is not cracked, chipped, or broken. Excellent. Try and keep it that way.

Hope it helps.

best,
      PM T2

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Parts list from 1929 Lockwood booklet. Note item at very bottom of page.

PM t2

chris-p
        Participant

Boy I wish mine had original decals. Ill have to source out some re pops.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Another device developed by Finn T. "Irgie" Irgins, the outboard test wheel. . . 😎

bill-loveland
            Participant

"Gear Tooth Paste" ??? 😆 😆

chris-p
              Participant

Chris,

What plugs do you run in yours? D16s?

Been working on the ignition today. The coil has a twisted connection between coils, if you look closely. Looks like previous owner pulled away some of the potting, and exposed the wires. My spare mag does not have this. Only thing I can think of is that the connection was broken there some point in the past. It seems to throw a spark when I put it on the Mercotronic though, so may leave well enough alone.

Anyone ever done a coil conversion on a Chief before?

pm-t2
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I run 5MJ or 6M plugs. 6M is the specified plug. Homey do’t do dat modern spark plug thing eh. I just use the antique pugs because….. well…. I can!

You can run D9’s in it, if you want to run a warmer plug the D16 or K15J will do, I’ve seen other people do that.

I’ve not heard any anybody doing the coil swap on a Chief, but the 72T and Ace conversions to either the later OMC coils or even Speedifour coils have been done any number of times.

Bill Andrulitis also recently converted a Johnson Light Twin coil to work in a Lockwood 72T.

Best,
                  PM T2

lyks2tinkr
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I put a zephyr coil in a 28 Ace. Took some cutting and fitting of the heels but it throws a nice spark.
                    Sorry I didn’t take pics of the process.

Others have fitted 2 of the newer green coils in the Aces and Chiefs.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.