Home Forum Ask A Member 1932 Johnson K-50 Starting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I tried starting the subject motor today. I even read the
      starting instructions in the manual first! Manual says
      that they are "EASY" starting engines. NOT!
      I got one little pop out of it.
      The manual told me……..

-hold down the float pin until gas oozes out
      -lever at "choke"
      -mag advanced half way
      -carb needle two turns open when cold out.

It ended up with some gas dripping out of the air intake
      chamber where the air horn bolts on, and I think
      I seen a drop where the carb clamps onto the power head.
      One would assume gas is heading in the correct direction then,
      but I’m wondering if the carb is sucking air where it clamps on
      to the power head. I have to tighten the clamp pretty tight
      before the carb doesn’t wiggle.
      I squirted gas in one plug hole for fun, and it did "nothing". 😕

Checked the spark, and it’s nice and blue. The coils were tested
      good on my Stevens.
      Checked compression, 68 & 73 psi.
      Hard to tell with brand new plugs if they’re "wet", but gas wasn’t
      dripping off them.

Not ready to get the drill out yet, but my shoulders have about
      had it. Any ideas????
      Thanks.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Did you have the powerhead completely torn down at some point? If so, did you measure the clearance on the ID of the centre main?

I think those motors have a limit of about 0.004" on that clearance. If its more, they don’t like to start. Usual result is they’ll start on a stand, but not with the prop wet.

PM T2

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Also, that carb sits on a spring-loaded sleeve that has to be properly located over the corresponding hole in the intake manifold. I always wire those carbs in place so it doesn’t get out of alignment. Used to have an A-70 that drove me nutty until I figured that one out.

PM T2

Doug Wilson
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

both my A50 and K50 have to set the mag above half way maybe 60 to 70% to start . also if has not been run for a while rock the fly wheel back and forth several times to make sure it has primed the cylinders . both usually start quickly that way

Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
            turned off?

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

I agree with Doug, advance that mag lever a bit past half way.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

No, I did not think / know better enough to measure the center main.
                I figured the last time it ran, it at least ran "poorly", but not at all. 😮

quote PM T2:

Did you have the powerhead completely torn down at some point? If so, did you measure the clearance on the ID of the centre main?

I think those motors have a limit of about 0.004″ on that clearance. If its more, they don’t like to start. Usual result is they’ll start on a stand, but not with the prop wet.

PM T2

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

I did try advancing the mag beyond half way, and also switched spark plug
                  wires out of desperation, to no avail.
                  I think, when I have time ( I hear today is Mother’s Day) that I’ll
                  pull the carb back off, and try to make sure, somehow, that
                  it’s sealing, and tight on the power head. And maybe when
                  the carb is off, I can dump some vicious oil in to seal that center main.
                  Thanks for the suggestions!

UPDATE – I took the carb back off, and hooked it up to the fuel line to
                  observe if the carb was flooding thru the nozzle / pickup tube.
                  When I opened the fuel valve gas squirted out of the nozzle, but
                  stopped when the float seated the needle.

With the carb off, I squirted a little ether in the crankshaft port.
                  It did fire, but not vigorously. It would fire the next few pulls,
                  hitting two or three times at best.

I then put the carb back on, set the carb to "Fast", but didn’t
                  turn the fuel back on. I then commenced to pulling it over
                  about 15 times until my shoulders said enough.
                  It fired every time, but the most hits in a row was probably 5 or 6.

I cut back the carb needle adjustment from 2 to 1 turn open,
                  and will play with it some more tomorrow.

I’m feel confident that the carb is on tight (at least now)
                  and not sucking air. I noted that the carb must be pushed
                  onto the power head mount all the way, or there’s a chance
                  of air sucking thru the slotted part of the carb that the
                  mounting clamp squeezes tight.
                  Is there suppose to be any kind of gasket involved in mounting
                  the carb to the power head?
                  Thanks

quote ddwilson:

both my A50 and K50 have to set the mag above half way maybe 60 to 70% to start . also if has not been run for a while rock the fly wheel back and forth several times to make sure it has primed the cylinders . both usually start quickly that way

Doug

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

Anonymous

I had the same hard starting problem with my K50. As stated earlier if the center main has too much clearance the motor will not start. On an alternate firing twin that has too much clearance, the fuel charge will not be delivered to the spark plug. The way I fixed mine was to replace the crankcase with a later KA38 series one the had rings to seal the center main. The result was a great running motor. All A50 and K50 motors that have some run time and have a worn center main will have this problem. Running a 8 to 1 mix with 30 or 40 wt = Shell Aviation 80W oil may help to seal the center main.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote XR55:

I had the same hard starting problem with my K50. As stated earlier if the center main has too much clearance the motor will not start. On an alternate firing twin that has too much clearance, the fuel charge will not be delivered to the spark plug. The way I fixed mine was to replace the crankcase with a later KA38 series one the had rings to seal the center main. The result was a great running motor. All A50 and K50 motors that have some run time and have a worn center main will have this problem. Running a 8 to 1 mix with 30 or 40 wt = Shell Aviation 80W oil may help to seal the center main.

Thanks! good information to know if needed.
                      Are you saying you swapped just the crankcase and not the entire
                      power head?
                      I have a KA-10 and a KS15, 9.8 hp. I believe they are 1940 and 1941 vintage.
                      At this point, they are "not" parts motors, but I’m curious as to
                      what all motors would be parts donors to get the crankcase with
                      the center main sealing rings?
                      Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

squierka39
                      Participant

US Member

Buc, looking thru my parts catalogs shows that the K-80 was the first year to use the sealing rings in the crankcase. The K-80 and KA-37 are the last years with the full opening for the carb. The later crankcase have a odd shape with a small hole for the idling intake. It appears it worked fine with the later ones for XR55. So any block from K-80 up would work. Hopefully you can get it going without swapping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.