Home Forum Ask A Member 1933 Johnson 65 Series Gas Tank Sightglass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adam1961
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Does anyone have a photo of the sightglass on a S,P or V series tank? I am wondering if there is any difference in the shap of the tank, or if it just consists of the two cast ends and the clear intermediate tube.

Thanks
      Adam

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

I cannot answer your question regarding all 3 models because I don’t have all 3. I have an S-65 but it has a tank w/out the glass. I have a P-65 that does. Johnson was famous for using the same part on many models, so I would suspect the sight glass assembly might be the same. The part numbers for the P-65 and the A-65 sight glass are: 25-176 top cap; 25-177 base; 25-182 glass. So those being the smallest and largest engines (other than the V-65) and having the same part numbers would lead me to say the gauge is the same on all models. I don’t have an S series parts list.

I made new sight glass tubes using cast acrylic a number of years ago and they have not discolored like the originals which turned blue. You must use cast acrylic because it machines well. Extruded will gum up when cutting. It is 1/2" diameter and has a thick wall for durability. I did make a replacement for my Lockwood Chief but used 1/2". Lockwood’s were originally 7/16ths so I had to turn down the ends. If I didn’t tell you that, you would never see the difference. The picture of my P-65 is not good but you can see the gauge

adam1961
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Hi Gerorge,
          Thank you for the photos. It does look like the tank has some type of boss to accept the end caps for the sight glass. I wasn’t sure if the tank itself was different from the other years that did not have the sight glass. I have a V65 that has a very nice tank, but no glass. I suspect that a V tank with the sight glass will be a tough one to find.

Adam

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

I’m willing to bet that your V-65 tank might not be original. Where is the filler cap located?–On the rear in the center or in from on the port side. My V-70 had a V-45 tank on it and it took a lot of waiting to locate the proper tank. V-65 and 70’s are somewhat scarce. Only about 200 70’s were produced.

You’d have to make a blank cover to close off the sight glass holes on your tank. Lockwood used a special, hollow screw on theirs, and all one has to do is install a screw with a washer to close off those.

George

adam1961
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

George,
              My tank has the port side filler. What are the proper applications of this tank? Was it only the V45 that had it in the cente at the rear? I can’t say that I have ever seen a V50, only VA50 or VE50.

Adam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.