Home Forum Ask A Member 1936 Evinrude Fisherman

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Wonderful news…. So I was correct for a change….lol

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

roalco
      Participant

Indeed! Thanks Richard!

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

If you haven’t already, take the time to check the lower unit over for fit of the propshaft in the supporting bearing(s). These motors are prone to worn bushings in the foot, and if you run it for very long with a loose propshaft, two things can happen that aren’t very good…
          1) grease gets out and water gets in
          2) the wobbling shafts wreak havoc on the gears (and possibly water pump components)

Hope it helps. Good luck with your motor. I used to own a ton (literally) of those brass lower unit motors, so I got to know many of them intimately.

Best,
          PM T2

roalco
          Participant

Good point TM P2, just went out to check it. Pulled the prop, the old rubber drive bush is hard as a rock, and the blades run slightly wobbly (putting the inner sleeve in the lathe and spinning it). The prop shaft has some play, so, looking at it from astern, we get a wee bit of motion along a line from about 7:30 to 2:30, but reasonably tight in all other planes. What would the original clearance be? It might be fairly easy to bore the after gearbox casting and sleeve it.

roalco
            Participant

Oh, and btw, the gears look to be in excellent condition.

pm-t2
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Clearance between propshaft and supporting bearing ought to be in the 0.002" to 0.003" range.

You can get away with slightly more than that, but if you’re going to run it for any amount of time, and the current clearance is much greater than 0.005", consider re-bushing it.

Just my two cents.

Best,
                PM T2

roalco
                Participant

It’s well over that on the one axis, almost like it had been run without grease at all…
                  So I packed it full, for now, and light testing, and will get a couple of oilite bearings to re-bush with.
                  Thanks for the input, PM T2!
                  Ross

roalco
                  Participant

Well guys, good news! It runs in the test thank!!
                    The carb had a bit of a tendency to flood, so I stripped it down after running (filter screen was missing and I think it got a bit of dirt in the float valve) cleaned it all out and made a filter screen for it.
                    Just a quick question on the mixture adjust needle screw. With the shroud off, it is seated with the lever at about a 10 o’clock position, and with the shroud on, it is limited to a range of motion from about 4 o’clock to 8 o’clock. Should I adjust the position of the lever so that it is seated (shut fully) when the lever is at the lean limit of the shroud slot?

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.