Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Bendix SM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The Upper Canada Chapter has another meet scheduled for Saturday May 19. I thought this would be a good time to finally get this old Bendix SM running. I’ve got her running on SeaFoam. It sounds good. Hopefully, I get the carb figured out before the weekend. Anyway, you don’t see these very often so I thought I’d share some photos. I love the look of these old motors.

Attachments:

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

david-bartlett
      Participant

Wayne,

That is a nice survivor. Grillwork is intact except for one piece, and the skeg is there! Very cool motors. I have a Bendix twin, that runs OK.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks, David. This one is in surprisingly good shape. It only needs a new rib welded into the grill and a kill switch installed. Does yours have the same goofy carb that sucks the fuel up without the aid of a diaphragm pump? Oddest carb I’ve ever seen.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

david-bartlett
          Participant

Wayne,

The carb on the twin is different. Gravity feed but still funky.

Attachments:

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member

Ive got two singles & 11/2 twins Nothing that looks like you guys beautiful motors. Hope to get one of each out of the batch going. They are odd birds. Something about them attacks me. Maybe it the aviation thing. Oh I Also have a beautiful Trolling motor. ’37 model I think. It’s in good shape with manual & all.

David was nice enough to send me a skeg. Not an easy part to fine & oft broke/missing.

Dan in TN

eltoquad
              Participant

US Member

I like the way the twins look like a V Twin when hood is opened, but of course they aren’t.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

A Bendix is on my "wish list" for someday.
                  I like the way they look too. I’m trying to
                  weed out duplicate outboards so I can
                  end up with at least one outboard of every manufacture!
                  I may have to live to be 150 though.
                  Only one I’ve seen for sale was at Tomahawk, but
                  with a big broken chunk in the hinge area.

Prepare to be boarded!

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Pulled the carb apart again tonight. This time I gave it a thorough inspection. It can truly say I have no idea how this carb works. I assume the vacuum from the motor pulls the fuel up from the tank, but I can see no check valves or balls to to keep the fuel from draining back down the lines. It seems like a long pull to draw that much fuel with a single pull of the rope. After a dozen pulls the plugs are still bone dry. I’ve given up for the night. I found the jets are only open about a quarter turn from seated. Tomorrow I’ll try opening up the jets and see if things change. Here are some photos. Note that the fuel pick up and jets are located in the tank and not on the carb.

Attachments:

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Mumbles
                    Participant

You probably know it already but you gotta make sure the high spot on the points cam is on the opposite side of the points rubbing block when installing the flywheel or you can bend the points, like these ones were, which came with my Bendix.

Attachments:

pm-t2
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I see those soldered connections on the fuel pipes, and makes me wonder if solder penetrated to the interior and is at least partially impeding the flow of fuel.

PM T2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.