Home Forum Ask A Member 1939 Evinrude Sportsman 2HP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alvins
    Participant

I have a 1939 Evenrude Sportsman model 4298 that I picked up and in the process of restoring it. With some effort I got it running, and now want to make it shine. It is in pretty good shape considering its age. It looks like it has the original paint and I would like to copy that. The paint looks like it was silver or standard metallic, but I would like to know what paint I should use to make it look original. I was thinking about using Silver |Engine paint but not sure. Thanks …………..Alvins

outboardnut
      Participant

US Member
        garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The original Evinrude paint came to the dealer as a quart of clear varnish and a half pint of powdered aluminum paste. It was mixed in that proportion as needed. The modern equivalent is aluminum Engine Enamel. . . 😀

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the great info Gary.

NAPA has an engine enamel that’s named Cast Coat Aluminum that looks really good with a coat or two of engine clear coat.
            I’ve used them several times with great results.
            As always proper prep is key to good adhesion.

alvins
            Participant

Thanks for the info guys. I will go to NAPA and buy. I just finished a Firestone outboard with their engine paint and it came out really nice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.