Home Forum Ask A Member 1939 Sea King / Thor barrel test

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    jcrigan
    Participant

I was inspired to run my motor yesterday. Something I noticed with this motor is before putting back into storage, turn the motor upside down to drain the water out of the cylinder. I think the check valves work too good on these motors and don’t allow the water to drain out. The drain pipe is also a little lower coming out of the water jacket causing an air space above the cylinder. This may explain why it is so hot there.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

John, I was wondering how well the water jacket was going to drain myself,
        as it’s still freezing here at night. I’ll have to remember that trick of turning
        it upside down. What you say about the "air space" in the water jacket
        makes good sense.
        I’ll have to take a look and see if the water outlet of the cylinder is
        lower than the rear gas tank mount bolt hole, as that’s drilled into
        the water jacket. If the mount hole is higher, it might be a fun
        experiment to leave the mount bolt out and plug the water outlet
        to see if the "hot spot" in the cylinder goes away.

Prepare to be boarded!

joesnuffy
        Participant

That’s interesting that their could be a pocket of air in the motor causing the hot spot. I was also reading your other post on the ignition system and can’t help but wonder if the magnets aren’t weak in the flywheel since your having trouble starting it with a rope. It ran for 20 minutes but you used a drill to start it and when you tried to adjust the timing I think you said it died. Possibly spinning it with a drill produced more spark? Just a thought.

Joe

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Joe, that’s a thought regarding the magnets. I decide to wait
            until the correct spark plug arrives before I mess with it any more.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
            Participant

The magnets in this Thor flywheel were quite weak before getting zapped! Yours might be to.

Attachments:

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

I have a charger, but have never got around making curved "shoes" to fit
                flywheels. I made the charger back when I was playing with "Hit and Miss"
                engines, charged a few Wico EK mags and others.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.