Home Forum Ask A Member 1940 Champion Playboy D2F – Replacement Condenser?.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scsulliv
    Participant

Does anyone have any information on what the microfarad capacitance rating of the condenser is for the 1940 Champion Playboy D2F outboard?

Or – does anyone know a suitable replacement condenser thay i could use to avoid burning up the points?

Where to find replacement points for it would be good to know, too.

I’ve got an old D2F outboard that I’d like to get running again. I’m not sure if it needs a condenser, but it’s been around 20 years since I last had it running, and i don’t want to risk ruining the points.

Thanks!

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Who made the magneto? Model? Outboard makers usual practice was to source magnetos from a firm specializing in ignition systems. The model of magneto is usually stamped on the
        magneto plate. Stevens and Merc-O-Tronic manuals may give mfd values.
        A specific and correct answer is probably out there in ancient magneto service manual
        Louis

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

That 5.5 horse outboard was made by Scott Atwater. They bought the carburetors and magnetos from others. I believe if it has a Phelon magneto the capacitor would be around 17 micro farads – if a Bendix/Scentilla, it would be around 19 micro farads. If I am wrong, rest assured, I will quickly be corrected. . . 😆

😆

scsulliv
          Participant

I haven’t taken my engine apart yet, but i do have a spare magneto, which was made by Wico.

Mumbles
            Participant

Your motor does use a Wico magneto and the original P/N for the condenser is X2186.

Now to find the uF rating for that cap.

Attachments:

frankr
              Participant

US Member

0.16mfd – 0.20mfd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.